>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Down By The Water - The Decemberists

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Vanessa Wrote:
Uhm.....not really...think again, or read again....
:blush: Oopps..... I spotted my typo too.... :S

Think I get it now..... it's the relative key....

Em Key = Relative Major G = G Harmonica

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Now capo'd at third fret...... :S

Em, F, F#, Gm.... Key of G minor
G minor = G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F

G minor's relative major is the third degree of the Gm scale = Bb

Key of Gm = Relative Major = Bb = Bb Harmonica.

How am I going to remember this an hour from now !!

:woohoo:

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks.

TGNesh

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Well you don't have to, just play the song! :)

thereshopeyet wrote:

suziko

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:54 pm

True, Dermot. I don't play it with harmonica, although I do love how that sounds!! Right now coordinating harmonica and playing and singing is just way too much for me.

tgvanessa wrote:
Well you don't have to, just play the song! :)

thereshopeyet wrote:

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks.

TGNesh

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Well góód!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P ;) B)

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa Wrote:
Well you don't have to, just play the song!
Vanessa I just gotta love you ;) ;)

You could never Bb !

Suzi Wrote:
True, Dermot. I don't play it with harmonica, although I do love how that sounds!! Right now coordinating harmonica and playing and singing is just way too much for me.
Suzi, I am just concentrating on playing it, even singing with it is an issue for me.
But it sure makes it interesting.

Vanessa has it honed sharp as a razor..... kids on it's easy too !!

;) ;)

Edit
Now, what was I to remember?
Oh yep, just play it.

Think ....Slobbery Labrador :laugh: :laugh:

Hydroman52

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Vanessa,

I've got to thank you for putting up this lesson. On Saturday evening, Bassman Jerry, Drummer Kim, Harpman Joel, and I had our third gig at a local winery party, and this song was quite a hit.

Here's the back story for anyone who is interested.

I picked this up as a song that I wanted to learn a little over two years ago after I saw them perform it at a concert in Madison, Wisconsin. Bassman Jerry and I already were playing two of The Decemberists songs (Don’t Carry It All and The Calamity Song) and didn't want to saturate with too many songs by the same artist. Our goal at the time was to eventually get enough songs together to have fun and play at some local parties. I wound up grabbing the lyrics for Down By The Water from The Decemberists WEB site and immediately shelved the song as something to dig out later on down the road.

Fast forward to this summer. Our first two gigs were as opening acts for main acts (some video from the first one is posted on this site). The set lists were only about an hour worth of music. At our second gig at the end of August, we picked up the winery job. The owner of the winery approached us and asked if we would play for two hours. We said sure, and began scouring our musical arsenal for an additional hour to fill (about 14 – 16 more songs). Most of it was easy, because we had a bunch of songs that were near performance quality already. But we were still a few songs short. That’s about when you came out with this lesson. When I saw it, I was due for a break from the songs I was practicing, so I clicked on the lesson and followed it through. You made it very easy for me to block this song out and evaluate it for the rest of the band parts. I got a bit excited, because I knew we were going to fall into it and have it down in a couple of run-throughs.

And that's sort of what happened. I emailed the video link of The Decemberists playing it live on Austin City Limits to Bassman Jerry. I recall that he and I ran through it a couple of times before full rehearsal with Drummer Kim. When Kim arrived, we played the song for him so he could get the feel of it, and then we rolled right into it and never looked back. We probably rehearsed it five or six times before playing it at the gig.

It was well received even though it's unlikely that anyone in the crowd had heard this song (or even heard of The Decemberists for that matter) before. So, Vanessa, it’s a bit of rambling on, but I thought you might enjoy hearing about positive result from your teaching efforts.

Unfortunately, I don't have any video of the performance. It was too dark with only one bank of lights on us to get anything good (it was outside, under a big tent, after dark, in the pouring rain much of the night). But I do have a fairly decent audio recording of it if anyone is interested.

Hydroman52

michelew

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 am

Great story Hydro! Ness to the rescue again. :)

I for 1 vote HELL YES for you to post the audio, too coooool.

TGNesh

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:29 am

Now thát's absolutely a great story to hear!!! :cheer: And would LOVE to hear the audio of your performance, how cool!!! B)

Thx Hydro! :) :) :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic