>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Down By The Water - The Decemberists

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

The Decemberists are an indie folk rock band from Portland, Oregon, United States, fronted by singer/songwriter Colin Meloy.

Down By The Water, featuring Gillian Welch on backing vocals, is the fourth track of their album, The King Is Dead, which was released in 2011. It’s a great song for beginning guitar players because it consists of just a few chords and a simple strumming pattern. The lesson is set up in a ‘work it out’ format, so make sure not to look at the chart or even watch videos of Colin Meloy playing it, if you want to work on your ear training skills. There is also a segment about how to dress up the playing a bit.

Enjoy this level 1 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Well I sure had that minor right on the same moment you hit it for the first time and exclusieve when asked ''listen for minor chords'''

well you said in the next segment do a play through but is'nt there ............ (yet?)

Willem

edit ,,, I think the segment is fallin in the water!!!!!!!!

suziko

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Ness,

What a great lesson on a really fun song. You're right, the entire album is amazing. I'm so excited to get the chance to see Colin Meloy solo this November.

Thanks for the cool "dressing it up" bits. I really like your suggestions! Also, I'm looking forward to seeing your play-through too!!

Suzi

lueders

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Very surreal, heh suzi? cheer: :) :) Goodtimes!

TGNesh

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Huh???! Well I certainly did a play through.... :dry: :S

michelew

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:52 am

I've had a busy day so I've just gotten to this.

Decemberists, yeh!!! It IS a great album and a very cool song. What a GREAT idea for a lesson. I'm off to give it a go. ... I SO want to go straight to the playthrough but I'll be good....

Thanks TGNessa, you never fail to challenge us in great ways and to do it with such fab songs. I'm looking forward to the frilly bits too as I know how great your ear for the sweet variations is.

Thanks.

Shel

michelew

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:27 am

I have to admit that i haven't done any of Neil's ear training lessons to date. Confession aside, I really enjoyed this one Ness. It's actually a nice confidence builder too when you work it out by listening. Thanks for the kick in the butt to get started on this.

I also like the little variation thingies that you've thrown in to the dress it up section. They're obviously applicable to [oops delete - don't give it away,] chords in lots of other songs too I'm sure. I never thought of doing that and it's always great to be reminded of a way to build the dynamics and tension.

I'm hoping the tech wizard mice in the basement put your play-through up soon. I'm really looking forward to that and to hearing you on the harp again.

It's nice to have a lesson on a cool sing that is pretty straight-forward.

Thanks Nessa.

Shel

suziko

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:00 am

lueders wrote:
Very surreal, heh suzi? cheer: :) :) Goodtimes!
Surreal for sure, Cori!! What a fun day!

Hopefully we'll get that play through up soon. Cos even though I've heard you sing this song, Nessa, I'd sure like to see it again. Especially if you've added the harp-bit to it!!

Suzi

TGNesh

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:02 am

I'm glad you identified the chord Willem, but don't give it away, please! ;)

willem

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:10 am

tgvanessa wrote:
I'm glad you identified the chord Willem, but don't give it away, please! ;)

I did'nt,,,lol,,,okay stupid!!! only 120 could have read it,,I hope they heard it too...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic