>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door with Matt F.

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Matt came in after a few weeks away (helping fight a huge fire near Yosemite), and didn’t really have a plan but just wanted to play something. We started in on Bob Dylan’s Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door and I remembered the last thing we had talked about was dialing in singing a bit. This developed into a discussion about knowing what notes you are trying to hit and some techniques for finding the right octave, register, and range. There was a bit of theory involved and a few dots were connected. We also tried it in different keys and took a short look at Margaritaville along the way. This includes the entire lesson in three parts and, as usual, we had a lot of fun!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... tt-f-.html

sbutler

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Wow, that guy has a high octane level. But, it was a great refresher on some basics.

Thanks Neil.

Scott

willem

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah back on the horse again,,,I had a fun hour ,,,I really like how you can make Neil doing a smile,,,good for getting away from the IGC stress..

:laugh: :laugh: :cheer: B)

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:51 am

Neil and MattF

Thanks for sharing this heavenly lesson.
I picked up a few things in there that I'd forgotten.

Thanks

Dermot

:)

kanefsky

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 pm

I loved the part about vocal ranges. Just today I heard one of my favorite old songs that demonstrates different vocal ranges: Games People Play by The Spinners. Here's a funny YouTube video where The Spinners appeared on Soul Train and a big black guy is lipsyncing the part which is sung by a woman :)

[video][/video]

--
Steve

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 pm

I think I may be knocking on Heavens Door very soon !

:(

jimcjimc

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Neil,

Interesting FOTW on KOHD.

To the question, "How did you know that this songs starts on that note (the open b on the 2nd string", I think you eventually say this particular song starts on B, on the 3rd of the chord.

But, I don't think you ever answered how you knew that. It's not in the chart included with the song.

Is that from the sheet music, from listening to the album, from memory?

Jim

TGNeil

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:55 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
Neil,

To the question, "How did you know that this songs starts on that note (the open b on the 2nd string", I think you eventually say this particular song starts on B, on the 3rd of the chord.

But, I don't think you ever answered how you knew that. It's not in the chart included with the song.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I thought there was a spot in that lesson where I asked Matt to sing the note he thought it started on, and then find it in the chord he was playing, G. He came up with the low B. Then we went off in the direction of singing the higher B.

A rule of thumb is that the starting note for most songs will be one of the notes in the chord, root, 3rd, or 5th. You have to find it and remember what scale degree it was, especially if you are going to transpose it to another key, which I think we did as well.

It is a matter of ear training and with enough work you can hear the difference between the notes of the chord, and even whether it might not be one of those.

Neil

PS. A notable exception to this would be Leon Russell's Superstar, best known as a Carpenter's tune. The first note is very unusual. Who's got a guess on this?

jimcjimc

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:00 pm

TGNeil wrote:
jimcjimc wrote:
Neil,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I thought there was a spot in that lesson where I asked Matt to sing the note he thought it started on, and then find it in the chord he was playing, G. He came up with the low B. Then we went off in the direction of singing the higher B.

A rule of thumb is that the starting note for most songs will be one of the notes in the chord, root, 3rd, or 5th. You have to find it and remember what scale degree it was, especially if you are going to transpose it to another key, which I think we did as well.

It is a matter of ear training and with enough work you can hear the difference between the notes of the chord, and even whether it might not be one of those.

Neil

PS. A notable exception to this would be Leon Russell's Superstar, best known as a Carpenter's tune. The first note is very unusual. Who's got a guess on this?
OK, what I understand is that the opening note will almost always be the root, the 3rd, or the 5th of the opening chord - and I need to determine which of those it is by ear training.

sbutler

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 pm

TGNeil wrote:
jimcjimc wrote:
Neil,

Jim
Hi Jim,

Neil

my guess would be a C. And that's my only answer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic