>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door with Matt F.

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
thereshopeyet

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Neil Wrote:
PS. A notable exception to this would be Leon Russell's Superstar, best known as a Carpenter's tune. The first note is very unusual. Who's got a guess on this?
3.27 Minutes In..... "Long........Ago...." etc...

I find it difficult to identify the first chord.
I listened a lot but no way can I figure what I'm hearing, so I looked up the key.

Scale of Fm = F, G, A♭, B♭, C, D♭, and E♭
Chords in the key is Fm = Fmin Gdim Abmaj Bbmin Cmin Dbmaj Ebmaj
Fm = F, Ab, C chord tones.

I can't match any of these (F, Ab, C ) tones with what Karen starts singing.... Long.....etc, I tried to sing each but that's not happening !
:S

Edited
Can you drop another hint that helps identify the appropriate outside note, when trying to compare singing note and playing note on guitar.

Dermot

willem

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:36 am

[Neil

PS. A notable exception to this would be Leon Russell's Superstar, best known as a Carpenter's tune. The first note is very unusual. Who's got a guess on this?[/quote]

I find this a kind of strange,,why would they begin with a singin note thats not in the chord,,I can imagine when they are further in the song and go from one chord to the other and the note is syncopating the note is not one from the chord,,made that sence?..I look it up and when she starts singin the long note I hit it on the guitar,,my ear could'nt hear it,,when i strum the Fm(song is in Fm) my ear could hear that that was right,,but hitting the singin note my ear could''nt match..

Willem

Edit,,and one semitone,,pfffffffff

reiver

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:07 am

OK, I'm a bit confused. When I listen to this the first note I hear her sing sounds to me like an F. That would seem to fit very neatly over the Fm chord. She does then slide up to a G, which would probably be considered unusual over the Fm chord before returning to the F and down to a C - but the first note definitely sounds like an F.

Stuart

TGNesh

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:17 am

Yep, i hear that too...

The flute (or watever instrument it is) in the intro though, does start on that unusual G.

reiver wrote:
OK, I'm a bit confused. When I listen to this the first note I hear her sing sounds to me like an F. That would seem to fit very neatly over the Fm chord. She does then slide up to a G, which would probably be considered unusual over the Fm chord before returning to the F and down to a C - but the first note definitely sounds like an F.

Stuart

TGNesh

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:39 am

Great lesson Neil and Matt, just love such discussions! :cheer:

willem

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:59 am

tgvanessa wrote:
Yep, i hear that too...

The flute (or watever instrument it is) in the intro though, does start on that unusual G.

reiver wrote:

Stuart
I thought see picked that note out of the intro,,for me or more to my ear it are the following notes,, Long=G note- a=F note- go=C note (decending) I played the notes along on the first and second string..

EDIT..I must confess I can not really hear that G note very good.. maybe the fact she's a bit of sliding up and down on LONG..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic