>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Stairway To Heaven with Kevin

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Kevin has only been working on fingerpicking for a short time but we decided to tackle one of the greatest songs of all time anyway, Led Zeppelin’s Stairway To Heaven. As you probably know, the beginning is a set of arpeggios over some partial barre chords, followed by some standard open chords. After a week or two we had really just talked about the open chord section and it was coming along nicely, until I decided it was time to take it to a much higher level and work on individual finger placement, rather than slamming down all fingers at once. This seemed like a setback at first but as we moved along Kevin realized that we were in this to take his level of playing up a few notches, not just learn to hack through the song, as many people do.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... kevin.html

sbutler

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Neil, pay no attention to those Goober's on youtube. The proof is in the puddin'. Your teaching style is just fine.

And its good to see Kevin again.

Scott

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Neil and Kevin

Thanks for sharing this looks to be informative.
Looking forward to viewing.

Dermot

:)

dtaylor

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:50 am

Neil,
I'm surprised you didn't try adjusting his hand position when Kevin was killing every other note over and over. I know he's new to finger-picking, would you expect that to improve naturally as he gets more comfortable with it?

Also, in the FMaj7 to Am move in measure 10 Kevin was having trouble with, I just leave my middle finger where it is and don't put the full Am chord down because you only need the A picked separately. It helps as an anchor for the hammered on C as well. Do you recommend this or not?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic