>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - June Hymn - The Decemberists

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
michelew

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:56 am

TGNessa,

Great song choice! This is a very cool song and I'll be especially glad to get into the bassline movement.

I've only had a chance to watch the preview (which OMG is a lesson all by itself) and the strumming part, but as usual Ness you've gone straight to the heart of the things that we need to learn to make this song sound like the original.

I LOVE your teaching style, your enthusiasm is contagious, your ability to break things down is just amazing and I can't wait to get into the rest of the lesson.

Thanks Teach!

Shel

michelew

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:06 am

Willem and Dermot,

If the notation isn't getting the rhythm into your head, listen to the way Nessa (and Colin) plays it and try to emulate that. She's given us lots of ways to get this under our fingers. Use what works for you.

M

TGNesh

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 am

It isn't!! It can only get confusing when you try to break it down and write it down (looking how this thread has turned out, I really shouldn't have done that :S :( ....). YOu did it exáctly as I would have wanted you to do, play it RANDOMLY and just keep that right hand moving, you did a GREAT JOB!!! :cheer: Then again, I do remember, you're never having troubles strumming your way through a song, that's really a great skill to have! ;)

And I agree, i like the slower version too, I hesitated what to do and then eventually decided to go for the original version. Or do you think I played it too fast? (Play Through?)

Yeah, I absolutely love Sarah Watkins vocals and whatever instrument she adds to it! ;)

suziko wrote:
Wow, I had no idea the strumming in this song was so complicated! I don't know how the heck I managed it!! :laugh:

TGNesh

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:57 am

Yes I could have. What's the difference exactly? But good to know Dermot, next time I'll delegate the sheet-work to you! Saves me a lót of work. :)

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

I'm not sure you need the dotted 1/8 th note.

The strum your showing could be notated using a tie like the image below?

michelew

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:09 am

michelew wrote:
Willem and Dermot,

If the notation isn't getting the rhythm into your head, listen to the way Nessa (and Colin) plays it and try to emulate that. She's given us lots of ways to get this under our fingers. Use what works for you.

M
Willem and Dermot,

I really think you guys make things harder than they need to be sometimes by over thinking them. Really... How many times does Nessa have to say she wants us to strum this song randomly? She has written out a whole bunch of ways that you might achieve that because she just can't help but try to offer as much guidance as possible. But 'random' is the word. How about working on random and trying to capture the feel of the song rather than worrying about whether the measure is written in the way you think you're hearing it. Take advantage of Nessa's experience by absorbing all that she's saying.

Play it however you feel like playing it after taking Nessa's lesson in in its entirety.

Actually said this in my second post above and then decided to edit it. I'm back because I really do think it's worth saying. Spend more time playing and less on notations details. Chances are you'll never play it the same way twice anyway.

My two and a half cents.

Shel

willem

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:15 am

Thank you TGVanessa,,,clear now,,sorry for asking,,I've always troubles with counting 1 IE AND A...(1-2-3-4= is not right I guess)..

I know you said randomly but lets begin with one basic strum and then mess it up(in a good way of course)..... :laugh: B)

Willem

Ps Dermot its just simple I guess,,take in GPro a piano sheet,,write in the bass line 4 quarter notes and in the melody line measer 5 from this song ,,then mess it up..

tgvanessa wrote:
The dotted eight note is played at the 'and' of beat 1 (not 'count') and lasts over 'and a two'. I clearly explain it in the lesson.

Spelling....not sure.....'1 ie and a' or something.....google it. :)

willem wrote:
Oh my,,I don't want to confus things up so I let it be,,well after my thought..

Two eight notes are 4 sixteen notes so i thought the dot is count two( the next set of sixteen notes)..(we must count it but note play it..)

Willem..

ps How do you spell the counting? thx

willem

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:46 am

michelew wrote:
michelew wrote:
Willem and Dermot,

M
Willem and Dermot,

I really think you guys make things harder than they need to be sometimes by over thinking them. Really... How many times does Nessa have to say she wants us to strum this song randomly? She has written out a whole bunch of ways that you might achieve that because she just can't help but try to offer as much guidance as possible. But 'random' is the word. How about working on random and trying to capture the feel of the song rather than worrying about whether the measure is written in the way you think you're hearing it. Take advantage of Nessa's experience by absorbing all that she's saying.

Play it however you feel like playing it after taking Nessa's lesson in in its entirety.

Actually said this in my second post above and then decided to edit it. I'm back because I really do think it's worth saying. Spend more time playing and less on notations details. Chances are you'll never play it the same way twice anyway.

My two and a half cents.

Shel
Sixteen(th) chances to hit the strings or not,, :laugh: B) ,,, nothing wrong with writting out the possibility's,,Neil does that too (and then make it your own),,I know listening to the original song (s) is a good thing and I try that but I give up very quick(I think i am to old for that),,,, guitar-playing is all down up down up right?? I think understand a music notation (standard) is a good thing for making the downs and ups,,well rhythmical,,I want to understand that,,what i mean is,when i look to a standard notation musicsheet which is mend for a piano then maybe I can find the downs and ups rhythmical and hit the strings were ever i like,,made that sence??

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:44 am

If you read my posts you'll see that I understand what Vanessa strummed in the video
and that she said "Randomly" and I can strum what she is playing.

My response was to Willem's question relating strictly to the notation of Measure 5 nothing else.

I was of the understanding that this is a learning site, I don't and never have claimed to understand
everything or anything that's why I ask questions, so I can understand.
I explain things as I understand them as I did here, if I'm wrong I don't expect to be ridiculed.
I don't particularly care what other folk think or how long it takes for me to understand
as long as I get there no matter how long it takes me.

I get the drift....

No more questions.

:)

willem

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
If you read my posts you'll see that I understand what Vanessa strummed in the video

My response was to Willem's question relating strictly to the notation of Measure 5 nothing else.

I was of the understanding that this is a learning site, I don't and never have claimed to understand
I explain things as I understand them as I did here, if I'm wrong I don't expect to be ridiculed.
I don't particularly care what other folk think or how long it takes for me to understand

I get the drift....

No more questions.

I get your pic so to say,thx..

Willem

michelew

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:18 am

thereshopeyet wrote:

I get the drift....

No more questions.

Dermot, I apologise if it came across as ridicule. You're right that it's not cool to do that on a teaching site. And asking questions should be OK. I guess my point is that playing by feel and learning by doing and listening and trying to copy the feeling can be more effective than playing exactly what's written. I hear you and I apologise.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic