>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - The Hazards Of Love 4 (The Drowned) - Decemberists

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

The Hazards Of Love 4, also called The Drowned, is the final heartbreaking track of the Decemberists’ concept album of the same name. It tells the dramatic and romantic story of William and Margaret.

Like several other Decemberists‘ songs, it features a simple chord progression in the key of G, using open chords only. There are also a few little embellishments, picking out the bass notes and passing bass notes, all played with a simple strumming pattern. Since it’s a heartbreaking and tragic song, the challenge lies in playing it as such. The lesson includes is a segment in which we take a look how you can do that.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

suziko

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Yes!! My favorite song on the album!! Thanks, Nessa!

Edit: Oops, wrong song in your clip, though! Still a great song, but not the one you did the lesson on! Here's one, though the sound quality isn't great:

suziko

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I love that you did a section on "playing with feeling." You're right- what a challenging and important thing to learn! And I so agree with you about how moving and powerful this song is. My daughter loves this album too and she often puts it on (we have it on vinyl) but she can't play the last song (this song) because she thinks it's too sad. I'm not sure, for me, that a song can be "too sad" :)

Suzi

PS Absolutely beautiful play-through!! I loved it so much.

michelew

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 pm

TGNessa,

You pick such cool and interesting songs for lessons. This song just kills me...it's SO emotional, ...well the whole album is powerfully emotional and heartbreaking.

I love the way you take a relatively straightforward song and pick out all of the things that make it unique. I love that you've used this lesson to teach us how to be more expressive. It's such an important thing and I'm sure it's never mastered.

Your playthrough... WOW!...suffice to say I've got a big lump in my throat and a pain in my heart. You really captured it beautifully. You're a model of expression.

Lost for words.

Thanks for another wonderful lesson. BTW, I'm amazed at how quickly you've gotten this out in a week where you were preparing for the IGC. Hopefully you can now relax a little and enjoy the camp.

Love

Shel

willem

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:17 am

Ness,,what a great lesson,,with great I mean what you want to teach us,,I love that section a bout ''playing with feeling'''(we need that more,, a sort of breakdown whats the song is a bout and how we could feel that in the lyrics and the playing,,wonderful!!!)..

When I listen to your play through I could feel it but I don't really get the feeling with the lyrics 'cos I could'nt really translate it...

Willem

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :woohoo:

Edit: I think you have one language,,music that is.. :laugh: B)

TGNesh

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:51 am

Just thrilled to read your comments!!! I'll get back here, but for now heading to the first IGC workshop!! :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Vanessa

Great lesson.... Gee it was a bit scary at first sight, Hazard came to mind :ohmy: .... I though it was a Blue Movie!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

I see Suzi pointed out that the videos a different song !
:)
Here's the correct video....... :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:01 am

I've been listening to some of the Decemberists.
They've got some great songs.

I see they've done about 6 albums.
Can anyone suggest which albums they consider there best.

Dermot

:)

TGNesh

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks so much guys and gals! I was indeed really pleased to hear that some of you liked the 'Play with feeling'-segment, since that's of course kinda an experiment, so yeah, really glad you got something out of it. :)

Also thanks for posting the right video (I had forgotten to include a link), and there are a lot of Hazards of Love (1, 2, 3, 4 :laugh: :P )

Dermot, I don't know all of the Decemberists-stuff, but I would absolutely recommend 'The King Is Dead', their latest album. Such a great album, just love it! :cheer:

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic