>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Poems, Prayers And Promises with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

After getting back from our International Guitar Camp, Sandy was interested in learning a more accurate version of John Denver’s Poems, Prayers And Promises, as she felt she wasn’t playing it correctly. We listened to it and it seemed like a great song for her figure out, rather than me just showing it to her. It turned into an ear-training excursion where I just kept giving her hints about what to listen to and things we might deduce from what she thought she heard. This was a fun ride and I think you will enjoy joining in on the project.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

sbutler

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:41 pm

What a great lesson. By golly Neil, your gonna make us learn something despite our lazy selves ain't ya?

Thanks for letting us sit in Sandy. As always, your the best.

Scott

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Neil and Sandy

Cool FOTW

That was fun to watch, a lot of interesting stuff in there.

Thanks for sharing.

Dermot

Here's another Poem I wrote a while ago..... .................................................................Prayers and Promises... need more work :blush:

TGNesh

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:11 pm

EINSTEIN!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Just watched part 1, what a great lesson Sandy, gosh he made you wreck your brain eh??! :P And how I wish I could be there too..... :( ....oh well...

Well before I left, he gave me eartraining assignments as well! ;)

sandysue

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 pm

I thought I was going to get off easy today with some sheet music and a pat on the back, but no such luck anymore. Now I have to work and use my own brain to figure these things out. Neil is a great teacher, he wants use all to really learn to be good musicians. That's a good thing, just not so easy sometimes.

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:49 pm

SandyWrote:
Neil is a great teacher, he wants use all to really learn to be good musicians. That's a good thing, just not so easy sometimes.
Gosh Sandy, you were brilliant, it was great to watch.
Your FOTW lessons with Neil are always fun, this one was really cool and you know more than you make out.
I wish I could do what you do.
:)

I reckon Neil teaches from the heart too ...... A Heart of Gold ..... eh?

Looking forward to your next FOTW.

Dermot

My Straw :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

familyman4

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Well first of all, thanks for sharing your lesson with us Sandy! And, Thanks Neil for taking the time to go into so much depth to explain the drop "D" tuning. I already have a very clear understanding of this but cannot help but feel honored to watch you in action. You are a true professional and an absolutely wonderful teacher!!!!

Now on to this song choice... I am a huge John Denver fan. I feel like I grew up with his music, helping to mold me into the person I am today. His values and sincerity cannot be matched. At least not that I can tell. Anyway, I never got to watch him in a live show but I have had the opportunity to speak with a gentleman that played for a number of years in his band. Great stories of humanity and humor :)

I learned this song a long time ago and now will spend some time to put it back into the playbook.

Thanks again for allowing us to watch this lesson!
Bart

And talk of poems and prayers and promis es
And things that we believe in
How sweet it is to love someone
How right it is to care
How long it's been since yesterday
And what about tomorrow
And what about our dreams
And all the memories we share

GREAT CAMPFIRE SONG!!!!!

TGNeil

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi Gang,

I have to tell you I really appreciate all the comments on this lesson and I love that Sandy is so willing to let me shoot her lessons without ever thinking about it. She is a very special person in my life and a great example of why I love teaching. I knew when she left yesterday that what we talked about would be appreciated by anybody who took the time to watch and I decided to get this out immediately. When you see what got bumped back to tomorrow you will really know how valuable I thought this was. Thanks to everybody who gets it and jumped on responding.

Neil

willem

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 am

Ah great FOTW lesson again,,well Neil can really set you up,,figure it out on your self,,glad there where a few hints,,

I found it great to find the G-Fm-Em again in the dropped D tuning,,thx Sandy and Neil

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 am

Willem Wrote:
I found it great to find the G-Fm-Em again in the dropped D tuning
I thought this was really cool too.
I also like how the notes are worked out in the beginning on the high strings and bass.
I found it hard to identify that pinched bass at the beginning too.

I'll definitely watch this FOTW again with Poems, Prayers And Promises at hand.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic