>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Poems, Prayers And Promises with Sandy #2

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

A week after we first looked at, or really listened to this great John Denver song, Sandy came back with most of it pretty accurately figured out. She had developed a better sense of listening to the bass notes and we went over the chord progression in detail. After you watch this you should be able to play the song, and figure out most of the rest of the album, which should be in everybody’s collection.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

willem

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi Sandy,,I have to concentrade on a house move but want to let you know that I've seen all your FLOTW's and found them great,,its so nice to see people working on a song..

Goodluck on this one,, I think I am to old for ear training,,

Willem

familyman4

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Way to hang in there Sandy!!! I appreciate how hard you worked to get that Dmaj7 chord.

Now, would it be too much to ask to have you post your completed song on the forum for all of us to enjoy? :unsure: :unsure:

(Now that you are a regular at posting comments on the forum, a video seems like the next natural step)

I know I am getting a bit greedy but I really would love to watch and hear you play the song.

Please...
Bart

Hydroman52

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi Sandy,

Wow, that's a drastic change (for the better) over the first part of this FOTW series. Good work.

One thing that I sometimes use to help me isolate different parts of the song is the balance and the equalizer of the device that I'm using to listen to the song. Many times, you can get a clearer idea of what individual instruments are playing by simply eliminating the parts and frequencies that don't apply. This is a lot simpler than it sounds. For example, if the singing is coming out of the left speaker and guitar is in the right speaker, turn the balance to the right and you will eliminate much of the singing. Then, if you want to hear the the lower bass notes more, turn down the treble. For hearing more of the higher notes, turn the bass down and the treble up. If you have lots of knobs or slider controls to contour the bass, mid-range, and treble, you will probably have even a better chance of contouring the sound so the instrument you are listening for will stand out even more.

A good demonstration would be by trying it on some later (stereo) Beatles records. The left-to-right separation on those can be quite stark.

Nice work,
Hydroman52

sandysue

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Willem :You are so funny. Good thing there is no age limit on learning to play the guitar.

Hi Bart: Whoa, I just felt my blood pressure go up just thinking about trying to play that song for everyone. For me, figuring the song out is easier than actually playing it well, but i'll try my best to share it in the future if I can ever play it well enough. Actually, Maybe you can learn the song too and we can both play it. I'll be happy to share all the chords and stuff with you if you like.

Hi Hydroman52: Thank you so much for all of your suggestions about how to separate out the different instruments and voices in a song, in order to isolate the sounds you are trying to hear at the moment. It is so weird that you just posted that information, because I had already been thinking about that very thing. I'm going to work on some of your idea's.

Sandy

familyman4

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 am

Hello Sandy,

I would love to record poems, prayers and promises with you! Not sure how we can do that from so far away but I do know other folks have "collaberated" on the site before so we will see.

I already have the music for the song. I had already learned it many years ago so now I will spend some time to re-learn it and we can go from there.

BTW, I tried to PM you a message with my phone number but the TG email didn't seem to work? I will try again later but you might need to set up more of your personal profile in order for it to work correctly???

Bart

sandysue

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Bart

sounds great. I'll ask Neil how we can collaborate and make a video together from a distance. Steve Kanefsky is a TG member and works at google, and he really understands how to do all of that kind of stuff, so we can also ask him. Of course it may be a little tough since It usually takes me 50+ tries before I can actually get a song just right on video. I hope you are a patient guy. I think it would be a really fun project.

Sandy

willem

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:09 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Bart

sounds great. I'll ask Neil how we can collaborate and make a video together from a distance. Steve Kanefsky is a TG member and works at google, and he really understands how to do all of that kind of stuff, so we can also ask him. Of course it may be a little tough since It usually takes me 50+ tries before I can actually get a song just right on video. I hope you are a patient guy. I think it would be a really fun project.

Sandy

Wow,,looking forward to that,,maybe you can ask Stuart from Scottland also,he did a wonderful collab with Suzy and it looked like they were in the same room,,it has something to do with a green background...

W.

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:58 pm

:ohmy: I see this was uploaded 1 day 2hs ago, not sure how I missed it.
Looking forward to watching later.

Dermot

:)

sandysue

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi Bart

I talked with Neil and he is going to try and set things up for us. All we have to do is practice for now, or at least I need to practice now.

sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic