>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Iris is a great song by American alternative rock band the Goo Goo Dolls. Originally written for the soundtrack of 1998 film ‘City of Angels’, the song was later included on the band’s sixth album ‘Dizzy Up The Girl’ and has contributed greatly to the band’s success.

In the lesson we will talk about the unusual tuning, BDDDDD, which makes the song easy to play. The biggest challenge lies within the time signature since it changes from 8/8 to 6/8 and back throughout the arrangement. We will also take a look at the little embellishments and ascending and descending bass lines which are being played during the guitar solo.

The lesson includes a segment about an alternative way to play this song, using Double Drop D-Tuning, and more details will be added if there is enough interest.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

sbutler

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Wholly cow!!! YOU DID IT. Oh my, you did it.

Thank you.

Scott

I haven't gotten through the complete set yet, but I like the sound with your original tuning better than that Double drop D. I guess it sounds more like a mandolin.

TGNesh

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Yep, the addition of this one to Target is absolutely by your request, or at your least your reminder! :cheer:

And of course, personally I'd go for BDDDDD as well! ;)

Really hope you'll like the lesson! :)

Ness

sbutler wrote:
Wholly cow!!! YOU DID IT. Oh my, you did it.

Thank you.

Scott

I haven't gotten through the complete set yet, but I like the sound with your original tuning better than that Double drop D. I guess it sounds more like a mandolin.

willem

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Can I remind you to ''mother'' by PF...

W..

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B) :woohoo:

EDIT:Q:if we upload a song teached by you I guess you will do the review??

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:10 pm

tgvanessa wrote:
And of course, personally I'd go for BDDDDD as well! ;)

Really hope you'll like the lesson! :)

Ness
How does one come up with BDDDDD tuning???? :woohoo:

Very cool lesson Ness.

J

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Vanessa

I haven't heard of the Goo Goo Dolls before or COOOOL tuning !!!
I look forward to watching the FUUUUN lesson.

Dermot

:)

lueders

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Nice Vanessa!! So, no tuning pegs were harmed in the making of this video lesson? Lol. :laugh:
Never know what you're gonna come up with....
Looks like another winner!!

Cori

michelew

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:13 am

TGNessa,

Another great song choice, another GREAT lesson. OMG how DID they come up with that tuning? Crazy! But it does sound a bit like I expect it might if played on a 12 string, with the doubled courses. I really like the open sound and the droning Ds. It gives it a...I can't find the words, a different sound.

I love the change in timing and the stresses in the strumming, especially the very dramatic section where it changes to 8/8 again.

Your play through is powerful. But then, there are no surprises there. It's an emotional song and you capture it so well as you always do. You definitely pulled on my heart-strings.

I'm not diligent enough to learn the Double dropped D version (so that's a nah from me) and I prefer the sound of the original anyway I think, even though the tuning is going to be a pain in the butt. I guess I'll just get over it. :)

Thanks Teach. I LOVE your work!

Shel

willywilson2

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 am

OH MY GOSH!!! I'm a beginner in playing guitar! This kind of lesson (for me) it really inspire me to practice more!

TGNesh

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 am

Willem: Haha, that's actually a very good reminder Willem, who knows!?! :P B) Who could resist a request by our own mr. Postman!! B) (reviews of songs which are taught by me, well that might happen! ;) )

MJ: Well John Rzeznik just keeps tuning and tuning, until he finds something which makes the playing easy, 'more than one or two fingers to play a chord, I don't bother' :P Thanks Jason!! :)

Dermot: Thanks Dermot, and yeah I think it's a very COOOOl song to and múch FUN to play! :cheer: Can't believe you never heard the song, since it was a MAJOR hit! :P

Cori: Aaaah thanks so much Cori! :) :) And yep, but my guitar survived just fine, it's now tuned in FADGAE for the next lesson! I keep bumping into songs with weird tunings, haha! :laugh: Fun though! ;)

Michele: Oh my.....you never cease to fail in making me smile really BIG!!! :cheer: :cheer: :blush: Thanks so very much sweet friend, LOVED to read your comment!!

WillyWilson: Weeeeeeell gooooood!! :cheer: :) That's really great to hear, thanks for dropping by William, really appreciate it!

Thanks all!

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic