>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Run Away - Sarah Jarosz

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Sarah Jarosz is a young and very talented American musician and singer-songwriter from Texas. She has already released three succesful albums and has been called a ‘songwriter of uncommon wisdom.’ She is also described as a comtemporary bluegrass prodigy. Besides the guitar, she plays the banjo, claw hammer banjo, mandoline and octave mandolin.

In this lesson we take a look at the opening track of her second album, Follow Me Down, called ‘Run Away’, which she performs on the guitar. Although it features a fairly easy chord progression, the fast travis picking pattern makes it quite challenging and good fingerpicking skills are absolutely needed to get this song down. It is played in an unusual alternate tuning: F A D G A E, where the sixth string is tuned up to F and the second string is tuned down to A. She also uses a capo at the first fret.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I do love people who call them singer songwriter,,sometimes they invent very special sounds on the guitar,,

I find it worth to study this fingerpickin pattern 'cos of his sound and I've noticed that every measer starts with 2 quarter notes and find that interesting

Thx Vanessa,,,mmmm ''octave mandolin''??????????????

CHEERS

Willem

unclewalt

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:24 pm

She's great. I discovered her sometime back when I stumbled upon her version of this Dylan tune. I quickly became a fan. This would make a great lesson too, come to think of it.

willem

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:33 pm

unclewalt wrote:
She's great. I discovered her sometime back when I stumbled upon her version of this Dylan tune. I quickly became a fan.

Wow I love that guitar too,,,with thef holes in it..

unclewalt

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:39 pm

willem wrote:
unclewalt wrote:
She's great. I discovered her sometime back when I stumbled upon her version of this Dylan tune. I quickly became a fan.

Wow I love that guitar too,,,with thef holes in it..

I think that's some kind of big mandolin type thing. Maybe somebody can identify? I guess it would be quite a task to make a guitar lesson out of it, but I don't know. I've always wanted to learn how to play this song, which Dylan did on piano.

unclewalt

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Ah, must be the octave mandolin Vanessa mentions in the lesson.

TGNesh

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks Willem! Glad you're getting something out of it! :)

And yeah, octave mandoline, quite cool to play that one! B)

willem wrote:
I do love people who call them singer songwriter,,sometimes they invent very special sounds on the guitar,,

I find it worth to study this fingerpickin pattern 'cos of his sound and I've noticed that every measer starts with 2 quarter notes and find that interesting

Thx Vanessa,,,mmmm ''octave mandolin''??????????????

CHEERS

Willem

TGNesh

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Yep, that's the one! :)

'The octave mandolin has been great for solo shows, because it feels a lot like playing mandoline, but with more support for my voice.' 'It's a bigger, fuller sound than the mandolin, with more power. It's a perfect medium between mandolin and guitar, because it gives me the oomph of a big guitar, but it can be just as delicate as a mandolin.'

The one that Sarah has is a 'guitar-shaped model made by Fletcher Brock in 2008, with a carved, X-braced Engelmann spruce top, two f-holes, curly Big Leaf maple back and sides, 14 3/8-inch lower bout, and a 21 1/2-inch scale length.'

unclewalt wrote:

willem

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:19 pm

tgvanessa wrote:
Yep, that's the one! :)

'The octave mandolin has been great for solo shows, because it feels a lot like playing mandoline, but with more support for my voice.' 'It's a bigger, fuller sound than the mandolin, with more power. It's a perfect medium between mandolin and guitar, because it gives me the oomph of a big guitar, but it can be just as delicate as a mandolin.'

The one that Sarah has is a 'guitar-shaped model made by Fletcher Brock in 2008, with a carved, X-braced Engelmann spruce top, two f-holes, curly Big Leaf maple back and sides, 14 3/8-inch lower bout, and a 21 1/2-inch scale length.'

unclewalt wrote:

gosh thats a really nice instrument,, I thought it was a guitar,,now I see 8 strings etc,,really nice,,,its certainly nice to find an instrument and you can say ''this fits or supports my voice''..gee I thought I did'nt have GAS anymore,,

Willem

unclewalt

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Cool info, thanks.

But now I have yet another instrument that I want to own and learn to play, and I haven't even gotten to my first non-guitar wish: the banjo.

I've never actually been all that big a fan of the mandolin -- I mean, I like it OK (I don't dislike any instrument), but it's one reason I like the Stanley Bros. a lot more than Bill Monroe, even though I really like Monroe. But I *love* the sound of this thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic