>>New Target Member Exclusive Lesson Release - Fretboard Geometry - Doug Young

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target Member Exclusive release is now live.

This series of videos aims to help you find your way around the fretboard, and be able to play melodies all over the neck.

Part I. Finding Notes Doug talks about a system for locating notes anywhere on the neck. By learning a few “guideposts” you can unlock the upper frets and find any note on any string.

Part II. Single-String Scale Patterns In this lesson, Doug demonstrates some basic concepts of scale construction and finding the notes of a scale. By limiting ourselves to a single string, we can learn the relationships between each step of the scale, and start to understand the structure of scales without having to learn complicated cross-string patterns.

Part III. Harmonizing in 3rds Being able to play harmonized scale patterns opens up a lot of possibilities for fingerstyle arranging, and helps you understand the fretboard. In this video, Doug builds on Parts I and II of this series to show you how to play harmonized scales anywhere on the fretboard.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

sandysue

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:18 pm

suziko

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 pm

I especially enjoyed part 3 of this lesson! It's the kind of information that I sort of know, just from playing songs where a riff is harmonized with thirds, but I never understood how it was done or how to do it myself. Thanks for this information! I'm looking forward to future videos like this!

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Gosh

This looks interesting Doug, thanks
Any shared observations and tips that will help me with memorising the fretboard from all perspectives
are much appreciated.

Harmonising in 3rds...... I think Neil touched on something about that when explaining the
bass runs in Part 5 of Have You Seen The Rain recently..... I'm not sure if relevant to Neils application in that song though.
Very cool Doug !

Off to watch..... suppose I should have done that first. :ohmy:

Thanks

Dermot

Hydroman52

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:55 am

Doug,

This is very useful information and easy to understand. I wish I had access to this stuff years ago. I had stumbled upon the harmonizing in 3rds bit long ago, but I couldn't quite tie it in with easily transferring it to other locations on the fretboard. This completes that process for me (now it seems simple). I remember something about it in the intro for the Van Morrison song Brown Eyed Girl.

Thanks for the lesson. Looking forward to more.

Hydroman52

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 am

Good info and good teaching style.

Looking forward to more!

willem

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:50 am

That hit some nails..

thereshopeyet

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Doug,

I've enjoyed Neils explanations of fretboard geometry in his AGS and learning notes via his Reading Music Series of exercises
and notated tunes to date.

That said, I found your observations and tips informative.
Having another approach to think about helps the old grey matter memory !
I also like the way you make it all seem possible in a relaxed friendly manner.

I came across Rock Guitar Secrets by Peter Fischer and on Page 12 he explains using two what he calls Magic Triangles
to find all of each note along the fretboard using the triangles.

Also started working on that cool finger control / hand position exercise you explained recently in a video.
I came across something similar in his book too on Page 15, he calls it The Spider... it's tough
so took your advise .... slow slow slow ...

I look forward to your other lessons.

Thanks

Dermot

sbutler

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:27 am

This is really good stuff. Very simplistic, but a different way of looking at things I had been doing already. Its thinking outside the box, TG style.

And Doug, just like Neil and Vanessa, your a natural teacher. Not everyone is.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

auntlynnie

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:37 am

Doug,
These are some really useful lessons!
Sometimes it just takes some explaining an idea in a different way for me to understand it.
As Willem said, "that hit some nails." True for me, too.
So glad you are doing some lessons here at TG.
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic