>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Try To Find Me - Graham Nash

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

'Try To Find Me’ is a very touching song written by Graham Nash. He performed it at the ‘Acoustic Concert’ which was recorded in 1991 in San Francisco, but it wasn’t until 2009 that it was released on his album ‘Reflections’.

When doing a concert at The Bridge School, an educational program for children who suffer from cerebral palsy, founded and run by Neil Young’s wife, Pegi, Nash saw two kids in their wheelchairs: ‘One, a little girl, who started to cry because she wanted to get out of the concert for whatever reason. And then this little boy, next to her in his wheelchair, took an unbelievable amount of time to slowly and painfully move his hand over to hers and squeeze her hand. And he made this little girl stop crying and at that moment this song was born, it’s called Try To Find Me.’

Since Nash accompanies himself on a grand piano, in the lesson we take a look at how to translate his playing to the guitar, by showing the patterns that he uses on the piano.

The arrangement is in the key of D, using all the chords, except for chord VII. The guitar is in Drop D-Tuning, capoed at the second fret, which puts it back in the original absolute key of E. For that we take a look at how to adjust the chords with the bass note on the sixth string.

There is also a segment in which I explain how I came up with a simple arrangement that is aimed at translating the emotional feel of the song, in particular by using dynamics.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

thereshopeyet

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Vanessa

Nice surprise.... Graham Nash.

I loved your play through, thanks for the lesson.

Dermot

:cheer:

dtaylor

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:24 pm

I admit I've never gotten 'into' CSN but this is an emotionally compelling tune, I must say, having heard the original on grand piano I find your play-through infinitely more engaging, not just the sound of your guitar but the vocal effect also.
Dean

familyman4

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Very nice lesson Vanessa! I enjoyed watching and listening to your play through. I have always been a CSNY fan but had never heard this song before. You created a great lesson on the song and really did a fantastic job on the play through, showing the emotion that should go into the song when playing it.

So, I would like to be the first person in line for your world tour concert... Put me down for the 1st ticket purchase. Even if it's in the Neatherlands :) I very much enjoy your playing and singing!

Thanks for sharing your talent!
Bart

michelew

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:53 pm

TGNessa...Nessa,

OMG...WOW! I just finished watching all of the parts of this lesson and just now the playthrough...I'm lost for words and experiencing a tsunami of feelings. ... I've LOVED everything you've posted. I think I have to be your biggest fan. I suspect so anyway. And this ...this has to be one of my favourite videos of all of the songs you've performed and there are SO many wonderful, wonderful renditions that you've posted for us. Your playthrough just blew me away and made me feel a whole spectrum of emotions. I truely think you play this better than Graham. He's written a beautiful song, but you've expressed all the multitude of meaning in his words and somehow given it more heart. You're truely amazing.

OK...your lesson. You've really followed through on Neil's promise to us that you'd show us how to convert piano songs into guitar pieces. I've taken so much from this lesson, including piano tips. You've absolutely shown us not only how to break this song down, but how to do it for others we might want to tackle by ourselves. Again, you've taken Neil's approach of teaching a range of skills by teaching a single song that can be applied to so many others.

I love the pointers about dynamics and how to build expression by attention to the number of strings we're playing together and in close succession.

And I love how you've taken a song in E (with it's many barre chords on the guitar) and shown us how to make it easier by playing it in Dropped D instead.

You constantly surprise me with the amount of teaching points you're able to find in a single song. I guess that just goes to show your talent as both a musician and of course as a teacher.

Thank you.

I'm blown away...again...WOW! :kiss:

Shel

michelew

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Btw - the term you're looking for to describe the symbols in the chart that indicate more than one chord for the bar isn't fancy, it's simply 'square brackets'. Well that's what I call them anyway.

willem

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:15 am

michelew wrote:
TGNessa...Nessa,

OMG...WOW! I just finished watching all of the parts of this lesson and just now the playthrough...I'm lost for words and experiencing a tsunami of feelings. ... I've LOVED everything you've posted. I think I have to be your biggest fan. I suspect so anyway. And this ...this has to be one of my favourite videos of all of the songs you've performed and there are SO many wonderful, wonderful renditions that you've posted for us. Your playthrough just blew me away and made me feel a whole spectrum of emotions. I truely think you play this better than Graham. He's written a beautiful song, but you've expressed all the multitude of meaning in his words and somehow given it more heart. You're truely amazing.

OK...your lesson. You've really followed through on Neil's promise to us that you'd show us how to convert piano songs into guitar pieces. I've taken so much from this lesson, including piano tips. You've absolutely shown us not only how to break this song down, but how to do it for others we might want to tackle by ourselves. Again, you've taken Neil's approach of teaching a range of skills by teaching a single song that can be applied to so many others.

I love the pointers about dynamics and how to build expression by attention to the number of strings we're playing together and in close succession.

And I love how you've taken a song in E (with it's many barre chords on the guitar) and shown us how to make it easier by playing it in Dropped D instead.

You constantly surprise me with the amount of teaching points you're able to find in a single song. I guess that just goes to show your talent as both a musician and of course as a teacher.

Thank you.

I'm blown away...again...WOW! :kiss:

Shel
Can I borrow your words for Vanessa,,you hit the nail so very well!!

So thats Michele,Bart and me for a tickect in Paradiso or Carré!!!!!

''Our house is a very very funny house with two cats in the yard......................................etc'' maybe we could break down this song by our self....

Willem

TGNesh

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:57 am

Gosh....I certainly hadn't dreamed of such a generous response.......! :blush: :cheer:

Dermot: Surprise eh??? B) I think it even surprised Neil when I mentioned the song, 'really obscure' he said. Well Graham Nash definitely has some really great songs. Another one that I really like is the 1977 'Cathedral' (I guess that'll be a little too obscure :P ). Thanks so much for your comment Dermot, so glad you liked the play through and surprise! :)

Dean: Well a compliment like that, I take ány day!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: Thank you for checking it out even when never gotten into CSN, it was really great to read your response, thanks again Dean! :)

Familyman: Aaaaah Bart, you're so sweet!!! :cheer: :kiss: So even as a CSNY-fan you actually had never heard of the song? Well I'm very glad to have done the introduction of it, it's really a special song. And since i always do my very best when doing a play through, it's always awesome to read that you've enjoyed it!! :cheer: A world tour-concert, haha! :laugh: :laugh: Well that's very sweet too! More likely I'll see you at IGC, would SO love to meet you there! Thanks a lot Bart!!

Michele: Gosh woman...... :blush: how you usually leave me speechless, well you've done it again! :woohoo: No, I mean it. I suppose you áre my biggest fan!!!! :cheer: :kiss: And it's always really nice to read the details of what it is that you've liked, it also shows that you've really watched the whole lesson, haha! :laugh: 'Square brackets', thank you!! :laugh: :P And since this is an emotional song, I was really thrilled to read that it came across in my play through. I mean I talked a whole bunch about it in the 'Details'-segment, after that I was really like: 'oops, now I gotta really deliver too'! :ohmy: Well I take it from your comment and the others, that I kinda did alright! :P Thank you SO much sweet friend, just always LOVE to read your enthousiastic support, don't think I'll ever get enough of that ;) :lol: !

Willem: Thanks for the ditto Willem! ;) Carré or Paradiso, well both venues would be áwesome for sure!! :cheer: Actually I did play Paradiso when I was 17 or something, that was pretty cool! B) 'Our House', you're right, same playing pattern (in particular the one he uses in the chorus of Try To Find Me), so should be easy to apply, but who knows I'll get to it some time. ;) thanks again Willem! :)

Thanks everybody!

TGNessa B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic