>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Broken - Jake Bugg

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Jake Bugg is a very young and promising singer-songwriter from the UK. He has already released two albums and is hailed as the ‘precocious talent fusing retro folk with blistering contemporary rock riffs.

The heartbreaking ‘Broken’ is the seventh track from his self-titled debut album. It features a rolling arpeggio finger picking pattern with the bass notes on beat 1, the and of beat 2 and beat 4. Even though it uses only the I IV V and VI in the key of G, it consists of several chord shapes, including a couple of very nice voicings higher up the neck.

There is also a segment in which I talk about the lyrics and what happens in the song dynamically.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Interesting for the pickin I think(the whole song is of course),,I sure go for a look,,,

THX

Willem

TGNesh

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Haha, indeed, the whole song is! Also, TG needs some recent artists, there are still a few talented ones out there! ;)

willem wrote:
Interesting for the pickin I think(the whole song is of course),,I sure go for a look,,,

THX

Willem

NKenny

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Great lesson Vanessa, love the picking and mellow sound of the guitar. I have listened many times already. I thought you were fantastic singing that song.

Kenny

cosmicmechanic

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Hey Vanessa,

Thanks VERY much for this lesson. Any Jake Bugg lesson will definitely get my attention. I guess that I've been "bitten by THE BUGG" :P

I started out watching your left and right-hand segments, but then just had to jump to the final "Putting it all Together" segment.

So now I'm a melted puddle ... you perform this beautiful, emotional song so ... so ...

Cripes, even the heavens got emotional ! You didn't even seem to blink ... guess you're used to starting the rain every now and then ?

Lovely !

Pierre

[EDIT] I have to add that I know that your playing can also bring out the sunshine too (just not so noisy) :)

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:01 am

Was just listening to Mr. Bugg with my daughter in the car tonight!

Looking forward to watching your take on this song, Vanessa.

michelew

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:52 am

GOSH! That was just SO.... beautiful. Your playing in this is SO sensitive. I just love the expression you out into it, like the changes in dynamics and subtle changes in tempo (I think) too. Your singing... It may be lower than you normally sing in parts, but it's really gorgeous and heartfelt too.

You're hit another...hit. :) it's a deeply emotional and beautiful song. I do love the finger pickers. :)

BTW - there's a short article about him in Rolling Stone magazine this month and a review of his latest album Shangri La. It never rains but it pours. :)

Oh and there's a BEAUTIFUL photo of Elvis at 21 reading fan mail. Just gorgeous. :)

Thanks for another great lesson sweet woman. I just love everything you're bringing us and your teaching style. I LOVE your work.

Shel

jayswett

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:12 am

Talented kid. I liked the song and the lesson as well. I agree that the fingerpicking pattern is a good one to have in one's arsenal. The chord voicings is another great reason to watch this lesson.

As an side, Vanessa, do you listen to Brandi Carlile? I've enjoyed her music for several years now. I think you'd like her. I know Michele does.

Thanks for the lesson.

TGNesh

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:04 am

Hey guys and gal, I must say I'm very pleased that some of you do know mr. Jake Bugg and also like the song/lesson! :)

NKenny: Thanks so much Kenny, your comment made me smile and sigh, of relief that is, haha :laugh: , since I was really not so happy with the singing. Indeed very nice to read that you liked it anyway!! :cheer: Thanks again!

Pierre: Haha!! :laugh: I just love how you always manage to make your point Pierre! I had no idea you really dig JB (I had no idea if anyone would at all! :dry: ) I was already relieved reading Kenny´s comment and then yours.....gosh....!! :cheer: :cheer: Rain, sunshine, rain, haha, you´re too sweet! But I´m telling you, it was really STORMING that day, major damage all over the country, it was scary to go outside, but it kinda accompanied the song a bit :P Thanks Pierre, really appreciate it!

AcousticAl: Aaah what a coincedence! Really hope you´ll enjoy the lesson Al, thanks for checking in! :)

Michele: Ooooooohw you´re too sweet too!!!! :cheer: :P :) Yeah, I love fingerpickers too! And I really like this song, love the changes in dynamics and he sings it really intense. Did find the Rolling Stone-article, he´s doing well apparently, cool for him! (couldn´t find the Elvis-pic though, but I have a feeling that I know that picture ;) ) Thanks so much for your never ending support Shel, I´ve said it before, but I´m always thrilled to read your sweet and enthousiastic comments on my lessons or videos!! :woohoo: :P

Jayswett: Couldn´t agree more Jay, the picking pattern and voicings, i really like those. Very glad to hear you liked the song and lesson as well. Brandi Carlile, I do know her, Michele did a song once, but I don´t know her work. could you name a few songs in particular? Thanks Jay!

Thanks all!!

TGNess B)

thereshopeyet

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:42 am

Vanessa

I hadn't heard of Jake Bugg, what a great song.
It takes you to put together this great lesson for us.
Nice play through and sing too

My biggest downfall learning guitar now is greed !
Confession - I need to focus more on each song, it's which songs though, I no longer know what I favour :( !!! :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo:
There are so many great lessons, I'm taking on too many and not spending long enough on any,
which I think ( :dry: too much) hinders my progress! :blush:

Lots of questions for you :S
What James Taylor songs were you refering to that use the arpeggio in this song?
Can you suggest any songs not mentioned in the lesson?

Do you know what guitar Jake Bugg used in the two videos?
It has a great sound to it.

Thanks

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic