>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Hark The Herald Angels Sing – Fingerpicking Solo

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

This is one of the first songs that drew me to ragtime arrangements of Christmas Carols. John Fahey’s album, The New Possibility had a great medley including Hark The Herald Angels Sing and it really opened up a lot of new possibilities to me.

This lesson goes through the steps of creating an arrangement, rather than just teaching the song. This involves understanding the chord progression, the melody, the bass notes, syncopation, and adding filler notes to help you create your own version.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

familyman4

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Looks like a fun way to play an old Christmas standard.

Thanks for the cool ragtime variation Neil! It is really a great lesson on how to think through creating a solo arrangement, starting with the chord progression, then the melody, bass notes, then combining and breaking out the syncopation. Really good to hear and see the details.

Bart

thereshopeyet

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Neil

What a fun lesson.
Amazing playing too.

You wrap the world in music at Christmas Neil !

Thanks

Dermot

:) Image

jweber71

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:44 am

Great lesson. I am FAR from the ragtime version and am concentrating on just playing it straight because my finger picking isn't quite there yet. I can play the melody just fine on it's own using the correct fingers on my picking hand and i can also strum through the chords no problem. But I am having the walking/chew gum problem of putting the two together. My fingers just won't cooperate yet and they get all muddled up. I just need to practice it more, but it is a little frustrating when it is such an easy melody and chord progression and not to be able to combine them. It's ironic because i can play through something like Stairway to Heaven pretty well, but something so simple as a C to G and picking out a melody is daunting ! Any advice or should i just take it line by line.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic