A Holiday Surprise - Grateful Dead Truckin' Tab Added!

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 am

Hi Gang,

As many old timers know, some of the early lessons included mostly improvised Play Through segments where the melody was incorporated into the rhythm, creating a chord solo. I didn't usually go to the trouble to tab these out as the original focus of the lesson was to learn the rhythm part. Truckin' was one of those that generated a lot of requests to at least write out something to work with, without necessarily being a blow-by-blow description. I have attached a GP file and a PDF of the three sections to the song.

One thing that is difficult to execute here is strumming in 12/8 time. You need to keep a feel of three strokes (like triplets), using multiple patterns of downs and ups, usually either down on the first and up on the third, hesitating on the second, or down on 1, up on 2, and down on 3. This creates a flow of
DUDDUDDUDDUD
where all strokes are equal, meaning the consecutive downs are done double speed compared to the down-up speed.

This could introduce a whole new level of confusion but I would guess this technique is addressed in some other lessons we have. I might need help pinpointing them.

Anyway, check it out if you are interested.

Neil

Truckin' Guitar Lesson

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Neil

I'll need to have a look at this lesson
Thanks for this supplement

Dermot

:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic