>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Simple As This - Jake Bugg

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Simple As This is a great strumming song by Jake Bugg, a young and promising English singer-songwriter. It’s the 5th track of his self-titled and successful debut album, released in 2012.

It features a relatively easy chord progression in the key of G, chords in open position and an uptempo strumming-pattern in swing time. Even though the song seems easy, the several changes in the time signature throughout the arrangement make it quite tricky to play.

There are several differences between the album version and how Jake Bugg plays this on stage. For that, in the lesson we take a look at both versions as well as some other details of his playing.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

michelew

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Ahhh.... It must be Saturday. :) my favourite day of the week.

Another great song choice from jake's first album. This has a great feel to it. I haven't tried to play it, I'm sure it's tricky as you say Ness, but you play it SO naturally.

I love the little ways you're dressing it up too, hammer ons, bass runs and that double strum bounce you do. So cool. :) :) :)

I'll be getting into this for sure.

Pierre will be a happy man too. ;)

Thanks Teach, another very cool song to get my pick into.

I love your work and it's GREAT to see you back and at the teaching helm. I'm looking forward to all the goodies you've got in the pipeline for us in 2014.

Shel

thereshopeyet

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Vanessa

Nice lesson.... as always.

Thanks

Dermot

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:55 am

michelew wrote:
I'll be getting into this for sure.
Pierre will be a happy man too. ;) l
Happy, Michele ? Nah, stoked !

Vanessa, this is a really fine lesson, so complete and well-rounded.

As you know, I mentioned in a sister thread that I've been fiddling on my own with this tune for more than a little while.
I pretty much came to the limits of what I could do by myself. The result was kinda ok, but now this lesson just busts things open for me.

So I feel I can really appreciate that there's lots to experiment with here, using the awareness in your approach.
As you mention in the lesson: unusual timing and strumming, , either subtle (as on the album), or more gonzo (as in Jake Bugg's live performances).
That recurring theme (subtle vs gonzo) is well expressed in this lesson, and can be applied elsewhere so much.

And Jake Bugg is such a strummer ! Those rolls (bounces ?) !!!

Not to mention that the lyrics have a good hint of wisdom ... that sure can't hurt, eh ?

Playing this tune was fun already, now it's gonna be awesome !

Thanks ! Yahoo ! :)
Pierre

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 am

Pierre Wrote:
......I've been fiddling on my own
Sure beats fiddling on your own Pierre.....

Playing guitar that is !!

:laugh: :laugh:

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:51 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Pierre Wrote:
......I've been fiddling on my own
Sure beats fiddling on your own Pierre.....

Playing guitar that is !!

:laugh: :laugh:
Can't argue with you there, Dermot.

... carry on ... :side:

TGNesh

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Hey guys and gal! It's about time that I got back here, especially since I really appreciate your comments! I do work quite hard on a lesson, so it's always really nice to hear what you think! :)

Michele: Your favorite day of the week, haha :cheer: ! Well I'm certainly really pleased that I'm adding to it, that's for sure! ;) I sure hope that I'll have some more goodies for 2014 :P . And yeah, 'Simple As This' is just not as simple as this :laugh:. I'm also really glad that you can appreciate all the extra little details that I tend to talk about in lessons, makes it so worthwhile. Thanks so much Shel, you're the sweetest!! :) :)

Dermot: And as always, thanks for dropping by and checking it out, always really appreciate it! How is 'Down By The Water' going?? When are you going to show me??? ;) B) :)

Pierre: So stoked eh???! :cheer: ;) Actually when we talked about it, a couple of weeks ago (on the forum I mean) and you said you had been workin on it, I had actually finished the lesson that exact same day, but TG was on vacation, so I couldn't surprise you, it just had to wait :( ...Anyway, I sure hope that playing it now is indeed awesome! ;) I'm glad to hear that I've added to the awareness of things that are happening in the song. And you're right, Jake is quite a strummer, he can réally pound on his guitars :ohmy: Also, you just gotta love those bounces!! :woohoo: :laugh: Thank you very much Pierre, I was of course looking forward to your response (since you had mentioned the song obviously). Actually I would love to see an upload from you, májor hint! :P

Cheers! :)

TGNess B)

jimcjimc

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:09 am

I had not heard of Jake Bugg before these lessons. Just got an email that he is performing next week in Oakland CA, so he must be on a US tour at the moment.

TGNesh

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:36 am

Ah he is in the US? Cool, well he's doing very well at the moment, good for him! ;)

You're attending IGC this year Jim?? :)

jimcjimc wrote:
I had not heard of Jake Bugg before these lessons. Just got an email that he is performing next week in Oakland CA, so he must be on a US tour at the moment.

thereshopeyet

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Vanessa Wrote:
'Down By The Water' going?? When are you going to show me???
It's a fun lesson, I can play it but not through without a mistake.
Forget the singing though :S

The mistakes are a memory issue I promise I'll try video it soon warts and all !

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic