>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Calamity Song - The Decemberists

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Calamity Song is the second track of ‘The King Is Dead’ album by the Decemberists, featuring the R.E.M guitarist Peter Buck .

It is another great song for beginning but also intermediate guitar players and contains a very fun to play signature riff, an easy chord progression, four open chords in the key of D, along with a simple 4/4 strumming pattern.

In the lesson we take a look at a few patterns, how to finger some chords efficiently and the progression. More than anything I talk you through the challenging, main driving uptempo signature riff which needs to be played with consistency and focussed strumming.
There is a segment in which I talk about how Colin Meloy dresses up his playing a bit with sus2 chords. I also explain how to play a sixteenth-note bounce which he uses a lot throughout the song.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

US Version

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Vanessa

Thanks for another cool lesson.

Love the play Through too ;)

Dermot

:)

willem

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

Thanks for another cool lesson.

Love the play Through too ;)

Dermot

I'm with you Dermot,,I loved the Ah Oo's ..lol (she is fit):laugh: :laugh: now lets she who can cover that..!!! B) :woohoo:

Willem

michelew

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:26 pm

TGNess,

GREAT lesson!!!!!! I REALLY enjoyed watching every segment. I've learned heaps already and I haven't picked up my guitar yet. I LOVED the way you explained the riff in segments and how to target your strumming. I'd never heard of a floating anchor; nice techque. And I LOVED the way you explained the double bounce strum. Very cool. I've always envied your ability to do that it's such a cool move. The sus2 chords variations... Gosh! There's so much in here.

I had to laugh though. In your preview you said "this should be a short one", or something to that effect. Ha! You just can't help yourself can you? There's always so many little thingies that you just HAVE to show us. Your success at attempting the quick lesson is like Neil's ability to do a short news segment. No complaints here though. :) :P

And the playthrough. WOW dynamite! You are THE coolest. I just loved the ah ons too, and the grins as you did them. You always make playing look so fun, it's infectious. :)

I now have an image of little Ness running around playing sus2 chords with a delighted expression on her face. In my version you're playing it on a baritone ukulele. :) you were probably in high school. But maybe not since we've already established that your mum had to squeeze out a little guitar as well as you, since you were born playing one. :) :P :P :kiss:

OK fun, fun, fun. Even with a cold you ROCK!!!!!

FABO! And thanks for another coooool tune.

Shel

TGNesh

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks guys and gal! :) :)

Dermot: You liked the play through eh, even with the cold???! :P Gosh it sure wasn't easy, I had actually chickenskin from the fever during recording, gosh... :S :X . And the song is cool for sure, fun riff!Thanks Dermot!

Willem: Haha, 'Aaah oooooooh'!!! :laugh: Thanks so much much Willem, glad you liked those!! Now yóu try it! :P :laugh:

Michele: Oh my......woman, you are SO SWEET!!! How I LOVED to read you comment! :blush: Well it is réally nice to hear how you always appreciate the extra mile(s) I go, makes it so worthwhile. I indeed intended a short lesson and it went exactly how you described :laugh: , thought I might as well add this and that and some more, before I knew it, 6 parts after all. ;) The floating anchor, I actually picked that up from Muriel Anderson, I knew that I do that sometimes, but didn't know it had an actual name. The bounce, yeah thought I should explain it for once, instead of referring to Neil's lessons on Tequila Sunrise or Things We Said Today, it sure is what I do a lot myself as you very well know. ;) Sus2 and sus 4 chords, haha, yeah I loved those as a kid, I still do, wáy before highschool, although I had no idea it had a name at that time as well. Even 'Rocking with a cold', I take that compliment ány time!!!!! Thanks so very much my sweet friend! :kiss:

TGNess B)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:20 pm

I think a few of us get Kippenvel when you play and sing Vanessa, its only fair that you do too! Nice work again :)

willem

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:21 am

A floating anchor,,that makes me curious and now I sure go and see all parts...

Willem, aaaaah Ooooooooooooo!!!

TGNesh

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 am

Chris, you're too kind!!! :) :cheer: Thanks so much!

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I think a few of us get Kippenvel when you play and sing Vanessa, its only fair that you do too! Nice work again :)

TGNesh

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:48 am

:laugh: :laugh:

A floating anchor, so I got your attention for that one eh???! :P Great!!! :cheer:

Aaaaah ooooooooo!! B) :laugh:

willem wrote:
A floating anchor,,that makes me curious and now I sure go and see all parts...

Willem, aaaaah Ooooooooooooo!!!

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 am

Vanessa, that's a fun lesson for sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic