>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Fare Thee Well - Oscar Isaac and Marcus Mumford

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Fare Thee Well, also known as Dink’s Song, has recently surfaced in the Coen Brother’s movie Inside Llewyn Davis. The soundtrack recording was done by Marcus Mumford and Oscar Isaac and this lesson looks at the two versions that were featured in the movie.

The main one was done in Open D Tuning and the ending version was done very simply in the key of G, more like the way Dave Van Ronk recorded it in the early 1960s.

The lesson is also done in a very traditional folk way, just handed down by word of mouth, no tab involved. A bit of a background in freestyle fingerpicking is necessary to get the feel that Marcus Mumford got in the open tuning, but the chord shapes are shown and explained very clearly.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

jimcjimc

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Neil,

Thanks for this lesson! I will try out the various versions.

I first heard this song on Dylan's No Direction home, the bootleg series vol 7, and, I of course, think Dylan's version is pretty great! It was recorded on Dec 22, 1961 in Minnesota according to the liner notes.

TGNeil

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi Jim,

Did I mention Dylan's version in the lesson? I think I meant to and I may have slighted it as not as accessible as many others. His playing on those '61 recordings is pretty primitive but fascinating. Not really something I want students to aspire to but historically important. I guess I forgot to add that video to the announcement so here it is.

Neil

familyman4

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Nice lesson Neil. These harmonies are wonderful. I think I could listen to them sing together for hours at a time.

I continue to be amazed at the importance of Bob Dylan's influence in today's music. I had no idea that he had recorded this song way back when.

Thanks again for the lesson! My list is too long to add another song to it but I will get back to this one later.

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic