>> Newest Target members only lesson- Fly On The Wall - John Renbourn Workshop September 24, 1998

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

John Renbourn was in Los Gatos to do a couple nights of workshops for my students. He started off talking about his roots and the early days of fingerstyle and blues in England. As the evening evolved he played lots of songs by the likes of Big Bill Broonzy, Gary Davis, and Davey Graham, fielded questions from the students, went into alternate tunings like DADGAD and some of its relatives, and thoroughly entertained and educated a group of about ten guitar students.

This whole evening is a real-life Fly On The Wall night with lots of distractions, interruptions, and general mayhem but I think the historical and musical value is worth sharing, warts and all.

Part 1 – A Little History: He started the first night with a bit of his own history and played examples of stuff by Big Bill Broonzy, Reverend Gary Davis, and Mississippi John Hurt, some of his main influences, and his early fingerpicking contemporaries like Bert Jansch and Davey Graham.

John gives us his rendition and breakdown of Anji, and talks about experimenting with open tunings. He then talks about how the guitarists took these influences and applied them to British Folk Songs, many of which are modal making them good candidates for open tunings.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -1998.html

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks for sharing John Renbournes workshop.

I enjoyed it very much.
Will watch again for sure.

I look forward to the other parts.

Dermot

:)

auntlynnie

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 am

Thoroughly enjoyable!

What an engaging guy. I really enjoyed this, Neil.

Thanks for posting it.

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic