>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Wrong Direction - Passenger

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Wrong Direction is another great song by Passenger, a very talented singer-songwriter from the UK. It appears on his album ‘All The Little Lights’ which was released in 2012.

The song is in 4/4 swing time, features only four chords, and a very easy chord progression. The major challenge lies within the catchy intro, using slides, a pull-off, a few hammer-ons, and syncopated chord changes while slapping the strings on beats 2 and 4, giving it a percussive effect.

The latter continues throughout the whole song, which also includes a simple strumming pattern. The guitar is in standard tuning and capoed at the fifth fret.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:14 pm

Everytime I hear this on the radio I think what a beautiful song...

Willem

Edit.. I like the right hand angles

michelew

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:10 pm

Cute song!

I've got visitors today so I've only had a chance to sneak look at the first couple of parts of this. But I love the percussive strumming segment. Very cool!!!!!

I can't wait to get to the the rest and ... The playthrough :)

I'll be back! Oh yes!

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Vanessa

What a great lesson, Wrong Direction !

At the moment, I'm not going in any direction, just sitting at my computer.

You are so meticulous, lucky us, thanks.

Dermot

:ohmy:

I'm just so dizzy.

:S

Edit

Vanessa, this is a great lesson and definately not as easy as you make it appear when you play it.
Chipping away at it.
Thank you
:)

Edit Edit

Two questions for you Vanessa.

1. When you pinching the chords and using percussion beats 2 and 4.
I notice your also momentarily relaxing the right hand simultaneously with the mute beats.
Can you suggest how to practice controlling the right hand in that manner as when watching you
it adds to the feel of the strum.

2. When your strumming the progression (with mutes on beats 2 and 4 ) are you changing chords on the and (last Up) of 4
F 1 2 3+ 4 +(C) ..... 1 (C) 2 ..... etc.

:)

michelew

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 am

Nessa,

Loved your playthrough! This song has a really cool feel. I like the variation in the songs you're bringing us. It's great to have a cute, upbeat song that's just fun.

I loved your detail about the altered timing in the slide to add variation too, the delay. Nice!

And I LOVED your array of cute expressions and your fun eye rolls at the kookie lyrics. They made me giggle.

Say? Did I hear a few English accent inflections creeping into your singing? :) :) :)

Sweet version.

Shel

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 am

Michelle

I noticed in chorus 2 she played C and G as barres too !

This is a great lesson and she sings it just great.

Great song.......
I don't hide behind my jokes though, I'm just so transparent, no one can't see me !
I know everything about nothing :blush:
Forrest Gump of guitar :S

:ohmy: :ohmy:

TGNesh

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 am

Willem: Good to hear Willem! Also glad you liked the 'right hand'-angles, that one is quite important in this song (well it's majorly important in general!)! ;)

Michele: Haha! :laugh: The expressions and eye rolls, well the lyrics and cheeky feel of the song are responsible for that! :P Actually, the song really had to grow on me, but eventually I did enjoy singing it, although a bit on the low side, however the lyrics are great! :) Thanks Shel, I really love how you always notice the details and variations I throw in. I like those, but also to make a lesson more interesting.
The english accent, I just knéw you'd say something about it!! :laugh: But it's true, you just can't sing this in an american accent, sounds weird :dry: . I do the same with Pink Floyd songs actually. Still, I didn't sang 'hitten', kept it at 'hidden' (first line) ;) Thanks so much again sweet friend! :) :)

Dermot: :laugh: :P You're something else Dermot....! ;) And yes, you're right, the song ain't easy, same for Let Her Go. There are easy elements in it, chord progression, most of the chords and that's about it. Don't think I got this fluently down in a day or so. :S However, thank you for your comments, very glad you liked the lesson. (I did know you like the album). And also that you liked the singing! :cheer:
As for your questions, the chordchanges, Michael R. doesn't particularly do that (or maybe he does sometimes, really he plays as free form and random as can be). I did check, since I noticed I tended to do that myself (change at the 'and' of beat 4). So you could or you don't, all good! ;)
When slapping the strings on beats 2 and 4, ideally your fingers land in shifted position so you'll be ready for the next pinch coming up (beat 1 and the 'and' of beat 2), no reason to take them off.
Oh the barre-chords were a total coincedent, a decision made in a split of a second, since I really wanted to make sure that the strings wouldn't ring accidently. And yes, it's nice to be able to do that. :)
Btw I LOVE Forrest Gump, haha! :laugh: :P

TGNess B)

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:56 am

Vanessa Wrote:
When slapping the strings on beats 2 and 4, ideally your fingers land in shifted position so you'll be ready for the next pinch coming up (beat 1 and the 'and' of beat 2), no reason to take them off.
Vanessa, thanks for the suggestions to my questions.

I just realised I asked the wrong question :blush:
I referred to the right hand when I meant left hand !
I normally have L and R stickers on my hands :huh: :P

I've corrected my question, see below.

Thanks

Forrest :dry: :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Corrected Question Below:

I notice your also momentarily relaxing the Left hand simultaneously with the mute beats.

Can you suggest how to practice controlling the Left Hand in that manner as when watching you
it adds to the feel of the strum when I see left hand sort of pulse in sync with the muted beats 2 and 4.

TGNesh

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:56 pm

:S :S :S

So am I pinching or strumming???

When pinching, it doesn't make any difference at all....it's more an automatic thing.

When strumming, it might help when the right hand didn't mute the strings enough.....

Mike R. sometimes lays one of his fingers (left hand) across the strings, maybe just to make sure they won't ring, I do the same. it's not a must if the right hand mutes the strings correctly.

In other words, make the right hand do it's job well! ;) :P

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa Wrote:
Vanessa, thanks for the suggestions to my questions.

I just realised I asked the wrong question :blush:
I referred to the right hand when I meant left hand !
I normally have L and R stickers on my hands :huh: :P

I've corrected my question, see below.

Thanks

Forrest :dry: :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Corrected Question Below:

I notice your also momentarily relaxing the Left hand simultaneously with the mute beats.

Can you suggest how to practice controlling the Left Hand in that manner as when watching you
it adds to the feel of the strum when I see left hand sort of pulse in sync with the muted beats 2 and 4.

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Vanessa Wrote:
So am I pinching or strumming???
Vanessa, you always have great questions.... ;)
:P ha ha

When you are playing the verse ( pinching) in Part 6 ( starting approx 2.20 minutes in)
Your left hand looks like you relax simultaneously as the right hits ( percussive) beats 2 and 4 after the pinches.
It's like a pulse thing going on there !

:ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic