>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - All Fall Down - Shawn Colvin

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Shawn Colvin is an American singer-songwriter and musician widely known for her Grammy-winning 1997 single ‘Sunny Came Home’.

Since 1989 she has released eight albums. All Fall Down is the title track of her last album with the same name, which was released in 2012.

The lesson is based on how Shawn performs this song live on stage, which she often does by herself.

It features a very easy chord progression, primarily four chords, a simple strumming pattern which changes occasionally from the speed of eights to sixteenth’s back and forth and syncopated chord changes.

The guitar is tuned to CGDGBD, a tuning which Shawn uses quite often, and capoed on the third fret. It’s a great song to start with if a student wants to enter the world of alternate tunings.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

michelew

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 pm

TGNessa,

Well I was having a full-on and crappy work day until I took time out over lunch to watch your preview and playthrough for this lesson.

I knew Sunny Came Home, but not this one. It's cool and I'm liking it more with each listen.

The circular progression feels almost like a riff and I really like the taps and other stuff you've got going on in there to give it more texture and to change up the intensity.

I haven't come across Open G - dropped C alternate tuning before (rock...) but that's a cool aspect of this lesson too.

I really like that you've giving us some stuff that we should be able to get down relatively quickly that's still got a heap of interesting things in it.

Thanks Teach! ... Back to work insanity ... Hi, ho, hi, ho.

TGNesh

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 am

Hey Shel, absolutely time that I'd get back to you! :)

Shawn Colvin is actually a pretty great guitar player, who also mostly performs by herself. She's quite an interesting woman too, had a hard life filled with depression, anxiety, alcoholism. It does provide for a lot of writing material though, she's a fantastic songwriter!;) In other words, I'm not done with her yet. :)

So alternate tunings, how often do you use them???

Thanks so much Shel, hope the insanity at work has eased a little :S .....!

TGNessa B)

michelew wrote:
TGNessa,

Well I was having a full-on and crappy work day until I took time out over lunch to watch your preview and playthrough for this lesson.

I knew Sunny Came Home, but not this one. It's cool and I'm liking it more with each listen.

The circular progression feels almost like a riff and I really like the taps and other stuff you've got going on in there to give it more texture and to change up the intensity.

I haven't come across Open G - dropped C alternate tuning before (rock...) but that's a cool aspect of this lesson too.

I really like that you've giving us some stuff that we should be able to get down relatively quickly that's still got a heap of interesting things in it.

Thanks Teach! ... Back to work insanity ... Hi, ho, hi, ho.

michelew

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:19 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
... she's a fantastic songwriter!;) In other words, I'm not done with her yet. :)

So alternate tunings, how often do you use them???
Hey Ness!

Sorry to take so long to respond (assuming that you'd like an answer of course). My spare time is being sucked into a puppy time warp at the moment. I'm now serving time as a plaything of a couple of curly critters with expressive eyes, wagging tails, a huge appetite for fun and cuddles and demanding little voices if I dare to take the time to do something that doesn't include them. Yep! They have me wrapped around their little paws. ;)

In truth I don't use alternate tuning very much. I'm lazy and I just don't have that much time to bother retuning. Sometimes I leave my nylon stringed guitar in open G. That's the one I use the most because I have been learning a few songs in Open G. So changing the bottom string to C is easy and do able. That is, I could still play a bunch of songs without much hassle if I leave one guitar in open G.

I've learned (partially) others with specific tuning 'Never Coming Back', 'Building a Mystery' etc. but because there are no other songs or few (that I'm learning anyway) in that tuning I rarely return to it.

I should use them more, but at the moment it ain't gunna happen.

Woo hoo! To more Shawn Colvin songs. She's cool!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic