>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Sunny Came Home is a folk-rock song by American singer-songwriter and musician Shawn Colvin. The song was a huge commercial success, winning both Grammy Awards for Record of the Year and Song of the Year and was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

The song tells the story of a woman, named Sunny, who burns down her house to escape her past. The lesson takes a look at how Shawn performs this song on stage, which she has been doing mostly by herself.

The arrangement features chords in open position, where the guitar is capoed on the second fret. The most important technique to work on is muting or damping the strings to give it a percussive sound, which should really stand out. A few strumming patterns are presented as well as some embellishments she uses throughout the song.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

sbutler

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:16 pm

yes, when you come home and burn down your house, "thats quite something" :laugh:

Neat find Vanessa. Great job.

Scott

jimcjimc

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the Shawn Colvin lessons. My wife and I have been fans of hers for years. We have seen her in concert several times and have a lot of her earlier CDs. I wasn't familiar with the first song of hers you did, as I hadn't realized she had a recent release. I will have to check it out.

Jim

familyman4

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Hello Vanessa,

I ended up with about an hour of "me" time tonight so I dialed into TG to see what has been going on around here :) I watched your play through and followed along with the words so I could get a better feel for the song. This is a song that I heard a lot several years ago. I really liked the rhythm and the flow of the song. However, I must admit that I had never paid attention to the words at all. So, it's almost like a surprise to read along with your play through....

Anyway, great job with this lesson! Should be a fun one to spend some time on when I can get back to playing. It's been a while :(

Thanks for sharing!
Bart

michelew

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:48 am

Cooool lesson Nessa!

I really enjoyed watching every segment. I especially liked the right hand and the dressing it up segments. And the spoooooky F. :)

Your playthrough, WOW! I just LOVE to watch and listen to you play these songs. You're SO at home doing that. It sounded fantastic and I LOVED how quiet and intense you got in the middle. It felt different from the album; really nice.

Another really cool lesson for a song from a woman who obviously deserves more attention.

Thanks Ness!

Shel

suziko

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:03 am

Ness,

Thanks for this lesson! Very cool song and I loved your play through! You sound just great, as always. Love your vocals on it, especially in the chorus!!

You've been putting up so many cool lessons lately!! Thank you for all of your hard work!!

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Another hot lesson from Vanessa !

img]http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... es/Hot.jpg[/img]

willem

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:20 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem

Great video and music.

I glad the handkerchief was explained, I thought they were preparing
to busk in a war torn country !

:ohmy:
????????? :laugh: B)

thereshopeyet

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 pm

:ohmy:

Another HOT lesson from Vanessa ;)

jimcjimc

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 pm

My wife is currently reading Shawn Colvin's memoirs as an e-book. Here is a link on Amazon:

Anyway, supposedly, she claims to have been a pyromaniac growing up and identified with Sunny from the song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic