>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Diamond In The Rough - Shawn Colvin

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Diamond In The Rough is a song by American singer-songwriter Shawn Colvin. It’s the second track on her Grammy Award winning debut album, ‘Steady On’, which was released in 1989.

The lesson is based on Shawn’s live performances, which she mostly does by herself. The song features very cool up tempo rhythm guitar playing and the student has to master basic strumming skills.

An important technique to work on is muting or dampening the strings. Shawn also uses lots of embellishments, such as hammer-on’s, pull-off’s, slides and even vibrato to dress it up. The arrangement is done in double dropped D-tuning, capoed at the 8th fret.

Since Shawn has been around the music industry for over 25 years, her playing is loose, random and varied. The student is encouraged to make the song their own as well.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:22 pm

What a great sound and a great artist as you are too(I know I am a sweet guy ;) ).

Willem

ps. Whis I could do a version :laugh: B)

TGNesh

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:45 pm

:laugh: You're right Willem, you're absolutely a sweet guy!! :P

And yeah, I love the sound too! Since I like to sing and accompany myself, artists like Shawn Colvin, Nancy Wilson or Jason Mraz are really inspiring to me, since they make the guitarplaying interesting as well, i love that! :cheer:

Thanks Willem! :)

willem wrote:
What a great sound and a great artist as you are too(I know I am a sweet guy ;) ).

Willem

ps. Whis I could do a version :laugh: B)

michelew

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Hey TGNessa,

I'm sitting on the train almost at work, I'm tired and having trouble waking up.

But I just watched your playthrough and now I'm grinning BIG time. I think I giggled out loud at one of the outgoing comments.

You always make these songs look so much fun to play and sound SO cool. There's SO much going on in there. And your voice is beautiful.

Thanks for another great one.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 am

Nice strumming Vanessa! When I get a chance I will try this out, when I have access to a steel 6 string again, capo way up the neck on my nylon 6 string and steel 12 is not going to work out!

TGNesh

Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 am

Hey sweet friend, sooooooo about time that I'd get back to you on this! :)

'Grinning BIG time' and 'giggling out loud', absolutely glad to accomplish that!! :cheer:

And yeah, I think the playing in this song is just SO cool and much fun to play! And thankfully her range fits mine most of the time, usually I don't have to capo it up or down, so that's really nice.

So what comment made you giggle?? :P

michelew wrote:
Hey TGNessa,

I'm sitting on the train almost at work, I'm tired and having trouble waking up.

But I just watched your playthrough and now I'm grinning BIG time. I think I giggled out loud at one of the outgoing comments.

You always make these songs look so much fun to play and sound SO cool. There's SO much going on in there. And your voice is beautiful.

Thanks for another great one.

Shel

TGNesh

Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 am

So acces to a steel string already??? :P

Thanks Chris, very pleased to hear you like it, it's absolutely a great strumming song, with more to it than strumming! ;)

Ness

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice strumming Vanessa! When I get a chance I will try this out, when I have access to a steel 6 string again, capo way up the neck on my nylon 6 string and steel 12 is not going to work out!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic