>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - The Road - Jackson Browne

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon May 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

The Road, originally written by Danny O’Keefe, is the second track of the Running On Empty album recorded by American singer-songwriter Jackson Browne.

The arrangement is done in standard tuning and uses mainly open chords in the key of G, with some unusual ones in the intro. It features moderately fast travis picking, with only a few embellishments throughout the song.

Keep in mind, that even though there are several particular melody notes, especially in the intro, Jackson plays this quite randomly. The student is encouraged to do the same.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

Music Junkie

Mon May 05, 2014 3:56 pm

:) :) :) :)

Vanessa:

Thanks so much for doing a lesson on this tune. I have been toying with it for a long time now, and I have the verses in a workable state. However, the intro always eluded me, along with the last portion of the chorus. You made it look SO easy. You have a horrible habit about that, by the way.... ;)

I can't wait to get home and work on this one again with a bit more direction. Great lesson!

Thanks again!

Jason

familyman4

Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Well okay Vanessa,

You know how some songs can just take you back to a certain place and time, well that what this song does for me. I had the the J.B. "Running On Empty" 8-track when I was a young gun in a Pontiac Firebird, cruising the streets and loving life!

Anyway, I never thought about learning this song but now that you have put together a lesson on it, I cannot help but learn it. I know the song might be a bit slow for some but the lyrics, along with the violin always made it one of my favorites on the album. The very first line "Highways and dance halls, a good song takes you far" is a genius hook!

So, a big "Thank You" for putting this together. I am traveling this week and do not have a guitar with me but this might just be the song that will get me back into the swing of playing again.

Thanks for all you do!
Bart

michelew

Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Hey TGNessa,

Another nice choice of song. This has some beautiful sounds and I like the colours in the intro and the stuff happening with the bass notes switching back and forth.
It has a slightly ... sad, spookie... Lamenting..sound in places .. Words fail me. Basically there's some nice sounds in there.

It's helpful that you've added a play-a-long segment. It's a good learning tool.

Thanks Teach!

Shel

willem

Tue May 06, 2014 6:12 am

I see me driving the road and listen to only the chords picked out,, lovely relaxt sound..beautiful,, I will make some exstra miles.

Willem

unclewalt

Tue May 06, 2014 11:04 am

Music Junkie

Tue May 06, 2014 11:40 am

unclewalt wrote:
Looks like a great lesson.

I haven't watched all the vids yet, but the album track was recorded both in a hotel room (the first half) and live (the second half). A little gimmicky, but certainly appropriate to the song, and the transition is almost seamless.

Here's a recent (2012) live version by songwriter Danny O'Keefe, complete with a more-realistic timeline for the cocaine use.
Walt:

Nice find. I had not seen that clip before. It is always interesting to see a songwriter sing their own songs after they have been done by others. It gives a different feel. It is the same way with all of the songs done by Jimmy Webb.

Jason

TGNesh

Sun May 11, 2014 8:43 am

A horrible habit, haha! :laugh: Thanks!! :cheer:

I was of course really hoping that you would like the addition of this one to Target, i knew it's a favorite of your (of the album) and it's mine too.

So how is it going now, getting to it? Or waiting for IGC so that we can go through it together??! :P

Thanks so much MJ, this one was for you of course! (And for me! ;) )

Ness

Music Junkie wrote:
:) :) :) :)

Vanessa:

Thanks so much for doing a lesson on this tune. I have been toying with it for a long time now, and I have the verses in a workable state. However, the intro always eluded me, along with the last portion of the chorus. You made it look SO easy. You have a horrible habit about that, by the way.... ;)

I can't wait to get home and work on this one again with a bit more direction. Great lesson!

Thanks again!

Jason

TGNesh

Sun May 11, 2014 8:48 am

Lighyly sad, spookie, lamenting, I agree with all that. It's very much that D going to a D# in the bass (raising the fifth), which is also a melodynote, it does give it that.....well words fail me too! :laugh:

I have really always loved that song, although I didn't know (until recently) that it is a Danny O' Keefe song.

And it's just nice fingerpicking, a perfect song for you actually! ;)

Thanks Shel!

Ness

michelew wrote:
Hey TGNessa,

Another nice choice of song. This has some beautiful sounds and I like the colours in the intro and the stuff happening with the bass notes switching back and forth.
It has a slightly ... sad, spookie... Lamenting..sound in places .. Words fail me. Basically there's some nice sounds in there.

It's helpful that you've added a play-a-long segment. It's a good learning tool.

Thanks Teach!

Shel

TGNesh

Sun May 11, 2014 8:49 am

Very glad you like it Willem, I understand what you mean, love the sound too, so I'd say, keep driving! :P

Ness

willem wrote:
I see me driving the road and listen to only the chords picked out,, lovely relaxt sound..beautiful,, I will make some exstra miles.

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic