>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - The Road - Jackson Browne

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNesh

Sun May 11, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks Uncle Walt!

Two recordings glued to one???! Well that explains a thing or two :S :laugh: haha! I didn't realize that, although i did notice that the crowd was VERY quiet at first and all of a sudden they were there a the end! :laugh: Got it! ;)

And thanks! :)

Ness

unclewalt wrote:
Looks like a great lesson.

I haven't watched all the vids yet, but the album track was recorded both in a hotel room (the first half) and live (the second half). A little gimmicky, but certainly appropriate to the song, and the transition is almost seamless.

Here's a recent (2012) live version by songwriter Danny O'Keefe, complete with a more-realistic timeline for the cocaine use.

TGNesh

Tue May 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Hey Bart!

Thanks so much for your kind comment!! I'm certainly glad to add something to put you back in the swing of playing ;) . I do know you like this album a lot and for me also, this song is really the highlight of the album. I would só love to see a rendition of yours, I'm sure you'd sing this just beautifully! :) :) :)

Thanks again for dropping by Bart and you're so welcome! :cheer:

Ness

familyman4 wrote:
Well okay Vanessa,

You know how some songs can just take you back to a certain place and time, well that what this song does for me. I had the the J.B. "Running On Empty" 8-track when I was a young gun in a Pontiac Firebird, cruising the streets and loving life!

Anyway, I never thought about learning this song but now that you have put together a lesson on it, I cannot help but learn it. I know the song might be a bit slow for some but the lyrics, along with the violin always made it one of my favorites on the album. The very first line "Highways and dance halls, a good song takes you far" is a genius hook!

So, a big "Thank You" for putting this together. I am traveling this week and do not have a guitar with me but this might just be the song that will get me back into the swing of playing again.

Thanks for all you do!
Bart

unclewalt

Tue May 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Music Junkie

Tue May 13, 2014 2:19 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
A horrible habit, haha! :laugh: Thanks!! :cheer:

I was of course really hoping that you would like the addition of this one to Target, i knew it's a favorite of your (of the album) and it's mine too.

So how is it going now, getting to it? Or waiting for IGC so that we can go through it together??! :P

Thanks so much MJ, this one was for you of course! (And for me! ;) )

Ness
I love the addition of this one!

It is coming fairly decent. It is taking me some time to get the accents right on the intro, and the switch from the Em7 to the Am7 can trip me up. It is getting better though. I play the verses a little different than shown in the TAB, but it works. The chords are the same, I just hit a few more notes in there, kind of filler notes that get mentioned in so many lessons. The hammer-ons are still there in the right places. B) Hopefully I will have it in a playable state so we can work through it together at the IGC. Maybe even a few other JB songs. I have lots of them worked up.... :P

Really looking forward to seeing you again this year.:)

Thanks again for this lesson.

Jason

TGNesh

Wed May 14, 2014 11:59 am

That's great to hear Uncle Walt :cheer: , thanks for the update! :)

unclewalt wrote:
I'm enjoying the hell out of this one. I'm a little surprised at how much of a challenge the intro is for me. The rhythm is pretty straightforward, but the accents are a little tough, for some reason. I'm having to take it very slowly, but last night I finally started to get it.

TGNesh

Wed May 14, 2014 12:08 pm

The feeling is mutual Jason, too cool to meet again in September! :cheer:

Oh yes, fillernotes, you can of course fill it up any way you like! ;) Like mentioned, Jackson plays this quite random, I do too. The tab is just one way of playing it and as close as can be to the original recording. When I play it myself I certainly don't follow the tab, just go with the flow. Personally I do like the spaces in between the notes, let them ring and not too many fillernotes, kinda like Jackson plays it. I actually had to get used to that a bit, since I tend to wanna fill it up too. However, with fingerpicking arrangement like this, travis-style, there is so much room for variation and such. Well I guess you know I often use the word 'random' right?! :P

And yep, we'll definitely play this together! :cheer: So what other JB-songs do you like in particular?

Ness

Music Junkie wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
A horrible habit, haha! :laugh: Thanks!! :cheer:

I was of course really hoping that you would like the addition of this one to Target, i knew it's a favorite of your (of the album) and it's mine too.

So how is it going now, getting to it? Or waiting for IGC so that we can go through it together??! :P

Thanks so much MJ, this one was for you of course! (And for me! ;) )

Ness
I love the addition of this one!

It is coming fairly decent. It is taking me some time to get the accents right on the intro, and the switch from the Em7 to the Am7 can trip me up. It is getting better though. I play the verses a little different than shown in the TAB, but it works. The chords are the same, I just hit a few more notes in there, kind of filler notes that get mentioned in so many lessons. The hammer-ons are still there in the right places. B) Hopefully I will have it in a playable state so we can work through it together at the IGC. Maybe even a few other JB songs. I have lots of them worked up.... :P

Really looking forward to seeing you again this year.:)

Thanks again for this lesson.

Jason

Music Junkie

Wed May 14, 2014 4:53 pm

TGVanessa wrote:

Oh yes, fillernotes, you can of course fill it up any way you like! ;) Like mentioned, Jackson plays this quite random, I do too. The tab is just one way of playing it and as close as can be to the original recording. When I play it myself I certainly don't follow the tab, just go with the flow. Personally I do like the spaces in between the notes, let them ring and not too many fillernotes, kinda like Jackson plays it. I actually had to get used to that a bit, since I tend to wanna fill it up too. However, with fingerpicking arrangement like this, travis-style, there is so much room for variation and such. Well I guess you know I often use the word 'random' right?! :P

And yep, we'll definitely play this together! :cheer: So what other JB-songs do you like in particular?

Ness
Yep, too many can muddy things up. My problem is in keeping a good steady pace without them.... I get a pattern going, and it is just natural to hit a few extras in there. My fingers get completely out of control! :woohoo: I've seen JB in concert a few times now, and he certainly plays the songs slightly varied each time. Overall feel is the same though.. ;)

As far as what else I like, that list can get quite long..... :P

1972 album - Saturate Before Using (My personal favorite)
1. Jamaica Say You Will
2. A Child In These Hills
3. Song for Adam (already a TARGET lesson)
4. Doctor My Eyes
5. From Silver Lake
6. Something Fine ( I have worked this one up, and it has been a VERY long term project - It is one of the songs that made me want to pick the guitar up in the first place. I sent it over to Jeff, and he posted his version of it.)
7. Under the Falling Sky ( I have this one worked up as well, and it is fairly easy and fun to play).
8. Looking Into You (I have this one worked up - pretty simple - piano song originally)
9. Rock Me on the Water
10.. My Opening Farewell (I have this one partially worked up, but I have not done anything with it in a long time. Beautiful song!)

1973 album - For Everyman
Tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 10 - (Track 5 is already a TARGET lesson "These Days") - (Track 6 is a very fun song to play and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Jeff knew this one and we got to play it last year.. B) )

1974 album - Late for the Sky
Tracks 1, 2, 6 and 8 ( I have these all in workable format, but they all need a lot of polishing... :laugh: )

1976 album - The Pretender
Tracks 2, 7 and 8

1977 album - Running on Empty
Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 and 10 (Tracks 1 & 2 are already TARGET lessons)

1980 album - Hold Out
Tracks 3, 4 and 6 (I have "That Girl Could Sing" kind of figured out, but the changes when the song gets going are hard for me to keep clean.. :unsure: )

2002 album - The Naked Ride Home
Tracks 1, 2, 5 and 10 (I have "The Naked Ride Home" and "My Stunning Mystery Companion" put together and they are pretty fun.)

He has some other albums as well, but my personal opinion of them is that they get a bit political and I don't care for them.

So, that ought to keep you busy for a while.... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Jason

TGNesh

Mon May 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Oh my, Jason!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, that'll keep me busy enough!! :P

Thanks for all that, I'll be sure to check some of it at some point! :)

Ness

Music Junkie wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

Ness
Yep, too many can muddy things up. My problem is in keeping a good steady pace without them.... I get a pattern going, and it is just natural to hit a few extras in there. My fingers get completely out of control! :woohoo: I've seen JB in concert a few times now, and he certainly plays the songs slightly varied each time. Overall feel is the same though.. ;)

As far as what else I like, that list can get quite long..... :P

1972 album - Saturate Before Using (My personal favorite)
1. Jamaica Say You Will
2. A Child In These Hills
3. Song for Adam (already a TARGET lesson)
4. Doctor My Eyes
5. From Silver Lake
6. Something Fine ( I have worked this one up, and it has been a VERY long term project - It is one of the songs that made me want to pick the guitar up in the first place. I sent it over to Jeff, and he posted his version of it.)
7. Under the Falling Sky ( I have this one worked up as well, and it is fairly easy and fun to play).
8. Looking Into You (I have this one worked up - pretty simple - piano song originally)
9. Rock Me on the Water
10.. My Opening Farewell (I have this one partially worked up, but I have not done anything with it in a long time. Beautiful song!)

1973 album - For Everyman
Tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 10 - (Track 5 is already a TARGET lesson "These Days") - (Track 6 is a very fun song to play and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Jeff knew this one and we got to play it last year.. B) )

1974 album - Late for the Sky
Tracks 1, 2, 6 and 8 ( I have these all in workable format, but they all need a lot of polishing... :laugh: )

1976 album - The Pretender
Tracks 2, 7 and 8

1977 album - Running on Empty
Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 and 10 (Tracks 1 & 2 are already TARGET lessons)

1980 album - Hold Out
Tracks 3, 4 and 6 (I have "That Girl Could Sing" kind of figured out, but the changes when the song gets going are hard for me to keep clean.. :unsure: )

2002 album - The Naked Ride Home
Tracks 1, 2, 5 and 10 (I have "The Naked Ride Home" and "My Stunning Mystery Companion" put together and they are pretty fun.)

He has some other albums as well, but my personal opinion of them is that they get a bit political and I don't care for them.

So, that ought to keep you busy for a while.... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic