>>New Target Exclusive release - Acoustic Genius Theory - Guitar Geography Part 4

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Everyone,

We have a new section in the Target Exclusive release Guitar Geography.

Part 4 goes over Intervals. An interval is just a label for the distance between two notes. This segment goes over the basic distances and terms used when identifying them. A clear understanding of the terminology is essential for the rest of this series to make sense.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... raphy.html

sbutler

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Today you took me from review to new. Intervals are going to be good. I'll no doubt have to hear this a thousand times to get it all, but I'm ready.

Scott

kelemenj

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Neil,
This is some great stuff! Feel free to take this as far as you want. The way you explain this certainly demystifies the material.
Thanks,
John

tombo1230

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Neil this is great! Looking forward to more of this.

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Neil:

This is great stuff, thanks for breaking all of this down and getting these videos up.

Just out of curiosity, when you talked about thirds (3:34 into the video), you mentioned that the important ones were minor and major. I get that, and have a decent understanding. You used the examples of:

C - E
C - Eb
C# - Eb

The first being a major third (two whole steps)
The second being a minor (step and a half)
The third confuses me a bit. Technically it is a third... C to E by way of letters, but it is only one whole step apart..... What would that be called?

I hope the question makes sense.

Thanks again for this series!

Jason

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Neil

Thanks this is a great series of lessons.
:)

Jason

Two half steps ( Whole Step ) = Major Second
The interval name is consistent with the number of half steps as is the sound.

I have trouble recognising the interval by sounds.
Some folk use songs as a reference to identifying interval sounds, I find that difficult too.
I read somewhere that's not a good way to recognise them but there was no explanation why not.

Two tables I came across:

Dermot http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... rvals_.zip

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Dermot:

The distance (one full step) makes it a major second, but, unless I misunderstood Neil in the video, he mentioned it as "another type of third", because of the lettering C to E. Albeit a C# to an Eb....... I will go back and watch/listen again carefully.

Thanks

Jason

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:05 pm

O.K....... brain-fart has passed...... It would just be a diminished 3rd......... Why did I not think of that earlier? If you called it C# - D#, it would just be a major 2nd, but since it is listed as C# - Eb it would technically be called a diminished 3rd because C to E is a 3rd.... Sometimes I really wonder about my mindset.... :woohoo:

Sorry bout that, Neil....

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic