>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Bloody Hell Mate! with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
sandysue

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi everyone

Took a lesson from Neil today. He agrees that perhaps, we may need to narrow our focus on our group song writing a little bit. We have so many lyrics and ideas, but it would probably be easier to establish a good chord progression, melody, and true story line, before we make any decisions on what lyrics to use. Neil says, if we would like, he would be willing to put up a lesson for all of us on song writing, with an emphasis on how to establish good chord progressions, and how to determine a melody, and a story line from those chord progressions. Let me know if you guys would be interested. I've learned so much from all the work we've done so far, but I could really benefit from a comprehensive overview on song writing.

Sandy

michelew

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi everyone

Took a lesson from Neil today. He agrees that perhaps, we may need to narrow our focus on our group song writing a little bit. We have so many lyrics and ideas, but it would probably be easier to establish a good chord progression, melody, and true story line, before we make any decisions on what lyrics to use. Neil says, if we would like, he would be willing to put up a lesson for all of us on song writing, with an emphasis on how to establish good chord progressions, and how to determine a melody, and a story line from those chord progressions. Let me know if you guys would be interested. I've learned so much from all the work we've done so far, but I could really benefit from a comprehensive overview on song writing.

Sandy
I'd absolutely be interested in hearing more of Neil's insights on song writing. My approach seems to be upside down, lyrics/melody then progression (when I go in alone).

Regarding the group song, I really just posted my We're Pirates sketch for a giggle and to get the chorus out of my head. Unfortunately, that hasn't been completely successful, I still have an earworm. It's very distracting when you're sitting in a meeting talking to the Executive about a big important project you're working on and "we're pirates, we're rolling on the high Cs of life" is playing as the background track I your head. :) :) ;)

Rather than a group project per se, I'm personally actually more interested in watching how your love song evolves. I'm also looking forward to hearing Tom's sad song.

Having said that, if someone or a group of you come up with a cool progression, a strong song story line and song structure and you're looking for collaborators to assist with filling it out, I'd be happy to try my hand at adding a bass line or some other ideas if you'd like. We probably need more of Neil's wisdom before we get there.

So YEP count me in as interested in songwriting lessons from Neil. Cool!

Shel

sandysue

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi Michelle

You are totally fun mate. We have really had some great laughs. Thanks for working on song writing with me. I learned a lot about music, pirates, and Aussie lingo this past 2 weeks. It's been so fun.

I have been learning shotgun down the avalanche lately. Maybe you and I and Ness can play it together. Willem also wanted to do something with us. Jean and lots of other people also showed interest in the song writing. Hopefully Neil will get that going for us soon. I love working together with everyone and teasing each other on the forum. We'll have more fun in the future. Talk soon.

Sandy

sandysue

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:21 pm

michelew

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 am

sandysue wrote:
Hi Michelle

You are totally fun mate. We have really had some great laughs. Thanks for working on song writing with me. I learned a lot about music, pirates, and Aussie lingo this past 2 weeks. It's been so fun.

I have been learning shotgun down the avalanche lately. Maybe you and I and Ness can play it together. Willem also wanted to do something with us. Jean and lots of other people also showed interest in the song writing. Hopefully Neil will get that going for us soon. I love working together with everyone and teasing each other on the forum. We'll have more fun in the future. Talk soon.

Sandy
Hey Sandy!

The last couple of weeks has been an absolute hoot. You're had me in tears of laughter many times. You definitely deserve the pirate captains hat.

I've been learning heaps too. I've actually started reading a couple of books on the song writing subject too. Thanks a squillion for starting the songwriting journey. I'm a sucker for a challenge as you've probably noticed. I can get a little side tracked on the lyrics side of things too much though. I probably need to focus on the actual playing a little more. It's just one of those little skills you need if you're going to try to write a song right?!? :).

A new Colvin project, oooow! I do love that song. It's very cool. Write me when you're ready to do something to let me know what you had in mind more specifically.

Shel

willem

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:54 am

Hi Sandy,,Its all good so I guess,,and what a fun and we need that,,I'm sure in for the songwriting lessons and maybe it connects also very good after the fretboard geography.

I did start with the lyrics first and thought to find the music but thats difficult I guess,I do think it can both ways but,,when I listen to singer/songwriters the first thing I do is listen to there accompaniment (acoustic guitar) and find it sometimes very special,so creative.

When I started my song it was more an idea to be funny and not to be a pirate but a bloody good minstrel,or clown,or jester(well,I found just a new word).

I am a pirate, a pirates jester

Not one with a flute,thats Jetro Tull

One with Mateys, thats true

There's Sandy with her angry rooster

She likes to dance, maybe like Jagger

Mmmmm Whoa oh oh, common dance!

Common lets dance, you're bloody good mateys

yo ho yo ho, whap bam a lo bah!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Jester

sandysue

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Michelle

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to start with the lyrics when writing a song per se. I'm sure that many famous songs started that way. I guess I'm just struggling with that myself. My nemesis seems to be finding the melody mostly. Even when I have a good chord progression, I struggle with coming up with a melody. That is probably just a matter of practice. Whenever I hear a great song, I also say to myself, why didn't I think of that. It always seems so simple when someone else does it.

We're not done with our song writing yet. We're just tooling up for the task ahead. I tabled my love song for the moment but I kept lyrics with the idea that I will develop it somewhere along the way.

I just love that song, Shotgun Down the Avalanche. I have learned to play it now, but I don't seem to be able to sing it and play it at the some time. The fact that can't sing anyway, may have something to do with it. I would like to play along with you and Ness while you guys play and sing. I don't have any special recording equipment yet, I just use an I pad, so I'm not even sure how that would work. I'm sure I can figure it out, cause I'm a pirate. We never let things like ignorance stand in our way, if we can help it, so we'll see. Talk soon

Sandy

sandysue

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 am

Hi Willem

You have the best lyrics. You're very creative. We will figure out a project that we can all do together someday soon. Meanwhile, we are all off to learn new things to fill our musical tool bags.

Sandy

willem

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:16 am

sandysue wrote:
Hi Willem

You have the best lyrics. You're very creative. We will figure out a project that we can all do together someday soon. Meanwhile, we are all off to learn new things to fill our musical tool bags.

Sandy
most trouble I have is finding a strumming pattern, I gues I go for slow quarter notes and put in a lot of eights and sixteens so it looks like a bit speedy.

William

sandysue

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:12 pm

I like that Willem. You can do some great things with a pic. I liked that percussion stuff too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic