>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Bloody Hell Mate! with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNesh

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:37 pm

I'm all yours!! :P

sandysue wrote:

I just love that song, Shotgun Down the Avalanche. I have learned to play it now, but I don't seem to be able to sing it and play it at the some time. The fact that can't sing anyway, may have something to do with it. I would like to play along with you and Ness while you guys play and sing.
Sandy

sandysue

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Great Ness. Let me play along with you on your play thru video on TG for a while until it all becomes more automatic, at the right tempo. I'll send you a video once I get more confident in what I'm playing. Thanks so much

Sandy

michelew

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:22 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
I'm all yours!! :P

sandysue wrote:

I just love that song, Shotgun Down the Avalanche. I have learned to play it now, but I don't seem to be able to sing it and play it at the some time. The fact that can't sing anyway, may have something to do with it. I would like to play along with you and Ness while you guys play and sing.
Sandy
Now that's a cool project! :) I'm in too.

I'll start listening to it to see what else is happening in there. I'm going to be away from home from about 18 July, but if we don't get it finished before then, we can always just spread it out a bit more.

Cool idea.

Shel

michelew

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:27 pm

willem wrote:
Hi Sandy,,Its all good so I guess,,and what a fun and we need that,,I'm sure in for the songwriting lessons and maybe it connects also very good after the fretboard geography.

I did start with the lyrics first and thought to find the music but thats difficult I guess,I do think it can both ways but,,when I listen to singer/songwriters the first thing I do is listen to there accompaniment (acoustic guitar) and find it sometimes very special,so creative.

When I started my song it was more an idea to be funny and not to be a pirate but a bloody good minstrel,or clown,or jester(well,I found just a new word).

I am a pirate, a pirates jester

Not one with a flute,thats Jetro Tull

One with Mateys, thats true

There's Sandy with her angry rooster

She likes to dance, maybe like Jagger

Mmmmm Whoa oh oh, common dance!

Common lets dance, you're bloody good mateys

yo ho yo ho, whap bam a lo bah!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Jester

That's three verses Willem, you're on a roll. Sing this song with attitude and it could be a lot of fun. Keep looking for your progression mate. Have fun jester. :) I didn't know sandy dances like Jagger, she must have attitude to spare too. But then she is a pirate. :)

michelew

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:48 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Michelle

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to start with the lyrics when writing a song per se. I'm sure that many famous songs started that way. I guess I'm just struggling with that myself. My nemesis seems to be finding the melody mostly. Even when I have a good chord progression, I struggle with coming up with a melody. That is probably just a matter of practice. Whenever I hear a great song, I also say to myself, why didn't I think of that. It always seems so simple when someone else does it.
Sandy, I'm sure you'd find you melody if you had a starting point. That's is if you found a progression that you like, which works for the song and lyrics you're happy with. I really think it's just a matter of listening to the music over and over and letting ideas form in your head, then playing with different sounds. Have you ever started singing to a song and found you're singing a different melody/harmony line? It's like that. I think your brain will find it because it's got the notes in your progression to guide it. Maybe just give it a try from time to time. I bet you'll surprise yourself.

sandysue wrote:
We're not done with our song writing yet. We're just tooling up for the task ahead.
You bet you're bottom dollar we're not. This train has just started. We just need a few more supplies for the journey. Neil's wisdom will help there. Yeh! :)

sandysue wrote:
I tabled my love song for the moment but I kept lyrics with the idea that I will develop it somewhere along the way.

It will be fun to see how it develops over time. :)

sandysue wrote:
... I don't have any special recording equipment yet, I just use an iPad, so I'm not even sure how that would work. I'm sure I can figure it out, cause I'm a pirate. We never let things like ignorance stand in our way, if we can help it, so we'll see. Talk soon

Sandy

Now that's the attitude I LOVE. Not having the skills and the info yet is just a little bump in the road. Or is that a surge on the sea? :)

If you're doing trial recordings, you can use GarageBand on your iPad to record and edit your audit too. :)

Have fun!

Shel

sandysue

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Great Michelle

I try not to set deadlines that are too lofty, because for some reason that makes me want to avoid practicing. Since this is for fun I think we should just say that when everyone feels ready then we'll take the next step. I need to get the memorization down so that I don't have to think anymore about playing. Then I can add the singing. I tried playing with Ness's play thru but I couldn't keep up yet because I'm still having to think too much.

This is really a good song for anyone that likes to finger pick. It's a pretty song and not that difficult to learn.

You know I was just thinking, bloody hell mates did we just pirate our own thread? I think this is just the way thoughts and conversations go. One idea leads to another. This is still a song writing thread. We just got side tracked a little bit AGAIN :)

michelew

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:46 pm

Good plan Sandy. :)

And yep! I think you've pirated your own thread (or Jameela's? ... Or Neil's? ... Naaaaah it's your FOTW). Haha! That's funny. But somehow I doubt Neil will be too concerned since the diversion is a collaborative one. Pirates! Can't trust 'em not to steal somethin'. :P

You're right. It's a great song and Nessa teaches it in a way that makes it really accessible as always. I must get back to learning it.

I'm not sure about Nessa, but if you decide to play it more slowly than the original I'm cool with that. It's your song project Capt'n. (pirate salute). :P

Shel

fjeanmur

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:17 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi everyone

Took a lesson from Neil today. He agrees that perhaps, we may need to narrow our focus on our group song writing a little bit. We have so many lyrics and ideas, but it would probably be easier to establish a good chord progression, melody, and true story line, before we make any decisions on what lyrics to use. Neil says, if we would like, he would be willing to put up a lesson for all of us on song writing, with an emphasis on how to establish good chord progressions, and how to determine a melody, and a story line from those chord progressions. Let me know if you guys would be interested. I've learned so much from all the work we've done so far, but I could really benefit from a comprehensive overview on song writing.

Sandy
Hey all,

It's been a busy work week, so I've barely had a chance to check in. What a flurry of ideas that have gone back and forth! I'm glad Neil said that he might put up a lesson to try to give some hints as to how to go about this whole thing. Song writing isn't really my thing, but I'm sure willing to listen and throw in an idea when I can. I think Neil is right that it's got to be much easier if you start with a chord progression/melody and come up with the lyrics from there. That's when I threw together that silly thing last weekend from what Neil came up with during Sandy's lesson and it wasn't too hard. The other way around seems that it might be really forced. Then maybe as a second project, it could be about coming up with a chords progression/melody on our own and then adding lyrics. But the melody part to me is scary.

Jean

sandysue

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi Michele

You're so funny. We are a shifty bunch of pirates but what the hay, we're having fun. I want you to learn that song too. Maybe you can play your base or something. Whatever Ness thinks.

Sandy

Hi jean

We'll get back to song writing once we learn a little more about chord progressions and melodies from Neil. We already know that we can come up with lyrics, or poems so I think we will be okay. Keep tuned. The subjects seem to be ever changing. :)

Sandy

michelew

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:45 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Michele

You're so funny. We are a shifty bunch of pirates but what the hay, we're having fun. I want you to learn that song too. Maybe you can play your base or something. Whatever Ness thinks.

Sandy
Hey Capt'n Sandy,

I listened to the original on repeat on my walk to work this morning. There's a subtle bass line in there, it's mostly roots so should be manageable. ;) but, I'll leave the arrangement up to you and Ness. If you end up deciding to just go with guitar and singing, that's cool, I'll just provide my video editing services (if you need them). If you decide you'd like something else I'm happy to give that a go too. Ness should have a pretty good idea of what I'm capable of. And she ABSOLUTELY has the knack of knowing what will work in an arrangement and what's not needed. Just let me know what you need once you know and you're ready.

It's all good.

Shel

BTW - EXCELLENT demonstration of your command of Aussie lingo with your use if the term "Aussie lingo" earlier. :) :) :) YEP I DID notice I just kept forgetting to mention it. :) Bloody good one mate!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic