>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Layla with Fred

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

This was a short part of a lesson where we went over small parts of a lot of songs. In this segment we look at Layla but with particular attention paid to swing time and syncopate strumming, basically accenting the upstrokes.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -fred.html

thereshopeyet

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Neil and Fred

Thanks for the FOTW.

I just love watching Neil's strumming lessons.
Doesn't he make it all seem possible.

In all the picking out note lessons I still find it difficult to
keep that right hand movement smooth.

Recently I've looked at Hey Jude but my right hand movement is very stiff.
I'm uncoordinated and clumsy :S
I probably try too hard to pick out the notes.

Watching this FOTW, looks like the up strums add to the strumming level.
I'll need to try Layla and see how I get on.

Spreading myself thin again, taking on too much, but this just looks fun too !

Thanks

Dermot

Fred

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Dermot -

Thanks for dropping in and taking a look. The syncopation and up strums certainly lend a higher degree of difficulty - at least for me. I knew the chords but had forgotten some of those subtleties that make the song more musical. You're right Neil, makes it seem seem poosible with a knack for breaking the detail into easy to understand chunks.

Like you say, "srpeading thin again" is also my thing...one of these days, I need to get committed a better theory and scale playing. There are leads that I need to incorporate into the "tool box" of my guitar playing!

Regards,
Fred

willem

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Okay Fred you got her on your knees, or? Does she have you on your knees?

Great song, must try that again! and again.. :laugh: B)

Are there songs you have down and do it with friends or something like that?

Willem

Fred

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Willem;

Like many of us, I have many songs that are in some state of "readiness" - some more ready than others. Neil and I were just having this discussion last night when I saw him. The topic was coming up with a "playlist" of songs that I can play and sing. A small digress - when I hear a song that is on the "list" and just sing, no worries. If I play and don't sing, then that is ok too most times. Blending the two - playing and singing - something typically falls of the track so more focus to get the activities more ingrained in the memory bank so less thought will need to happen while playing. Back to the topic - I've been resurrecting songs that Neil and I have worked on over the years - Lonely People, Layla, Secret Agent Man to name a few. I do get together with friends to do music, but generally I focus on playing and let the vocal to others.

Long story short, I'm picking some pet songs to get in the "open mic" status.

The never ending learning activity list of guitar playing!

Best....

Fred

willem

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 am

Fred wrote:
Hi Willem;

Like many of us, I have many songs that are in some state of "readiness" - some more ready than others. Neil and I were just having this discussion last night when I saw him. The topic was coming up with a "playlist" of songs that I can play and sing. A small digress - when I hear a song that is on the "list" and just sing, no worries. If I play and don't sing, then that is ok too most times. Blending the two - playing and singing - something typically falls of the track so more focus to get the activities more ingrained in the memory bank so less thought will need to happen while playing. Back to the topic - I've been resurrecting songs that Neil and I have worked on over the years - Lonely People, Layla, Secret Agent Man to name a few. I do get together with friends to do music, but generally I focus on playing and let the vocal to others.

Long story short, I'm picking some pet songs to get in the "open mic" status.

The never ending learning activity list of guitar playing!

Best....

Fred

Thats a honest respons and I can say I'm in the same packedge,,just playing a long with friends and concentrade on the playing,,the only thing I try sometimes is sing a long some lines with the singer(harmony) and try to add a second diffrent guitar,,simple when one is strumming I go pickin or play(thinkin) in an other chord pattern with the capo to fit the key..or play chords only on the top three strings...

goodluck

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic