>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Mr. Bojangles with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Sandy has been working really hard on strumming with a pick, a new technique for her after many years of playing with fingers only. In this lesson we worked on hitting bass notes with accuracy and coming with with bass runs to connect chords.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

willem

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 am

Hi sandy, curious a bout your hen story,,, :laugh: B)

I know the troubles with the pick(spinning), I think its finding the right and happy pick, lol B) , I also start well with the curved indexfinger and then it goes straight and the pick spins and we get a bad sound out the strings 'cos the angle to the strings changed, on this moment I use a double glue tape and it works, the pick is a bit glued to my thumb so when the indexfinger goes straight I can adjust that and hope the straighten of my index will dissapear with the years and will only be curved. Image Image

sandysue

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Willem

The glue tape is an interesting approach to keeping our guitar pic stable. I'll try that. I also thought of using coarse sandpaper to roughen up the pic surface to keep it in place better. I don't know what to do about my index finger that keeps wanting to straighten. I just try to keep bending it back in place as I go along. It's a lot of things to try and balance at the same time, but that's music for ya. Using a pic has totally ruined the rest of my playing technique. I keep focusing on the pic and then I mess up the chords and the song. Even my dog leaves the room when I start strumming. :) I wonder what experiences everyone else is having with learning to use a pic.

P.S. Do I have a hen story? :)

sandy

familyman4

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 am

Hello Sandy,
They sell picks that have a non slip surface. Some have ridges or dimples on that portion of the pick. Some have a special gel coating where your thumb and finger rests to help stop the issue.

Good luck.
Bart

willem

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:22 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Willem

The glue tape is an interesting approach to keeping our guitar pic stable. I'll try that. I also thought of using coarse sandpaper to roughen up the pic surface to keep it in place better. I don't know what to do about my index finger that keeps wanting to straighten. I just try to keep bending it back in place as I go along. It's a lot of things to try and balance at the same time, but that's music for ya. Using a pic has totally ruined the rest of my playing technique. I keep focusing on the pic and then I mess up the chords and the song. Even my dog leaves the room when I start strumming. :) I wonder what experiences everyone else is having with learning to use a pic.

sandy

ahah yeah the hen story,,you must watch the FOTW..

Sandy I hope I can convince you trying the double glue tape (trick)

1. You can use your favorite pick

2. its not really glued at your thumb,its more a little sticky but stays on his place

3.every pick sounds diffrent,,so picks that must prevent rotating or spinning can sound diffrent and that sort of picks don't Always have the solution 'cos the straighted of your index is the issue that the pick moves..and its also difficult to get it back on his favorite place 'cos its still between your index and thumb.

4. The pick stays on his place 'cos the stickyness of the tape,so you have only to adjust you index back to his place by lifting it a bit and curve it back again and maybe you index will develop with this gym

5.I tryed really everything but this trick gives me the most satisfaction and it really works

6. if the stickness dissappears just remove the tape (easy) and put a new piece on it.

goodluck and let me know,you can only say it did'nt work till you tryed it..

my one cent

Willem

stupid question, you know what double glue tape is???

put the tape only on the thumb side of the pick!!! meaning not on both sides.. B)

fjeanmur

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Willem

sandy
Hi Sandy!

I enjoyed watching your lesson yesterday because using a pick is a challenge for me as well. I think you and I have some similar experience and skill levels: I came back to playing after many years away, I can fingerpick just about anything, but I almost never used a pick until I came to TG. In fact, I am so glad that I have been able to hold on to the darn thing and not flip it into the inside of the guitar as a did several times when I was about 13 or so. But I'm not really skilled with it either.

I like watching your lessons on this because lately I have been gravitating back to my comfort level--with no pick. Your recent lessons are reminding me how much I need to even out my skills. But sometimes I have trouble holding on to the darn thing correctly and I love the ideas about maybe finding some with a non-slip surface or even Wilem's trick with the tape.

So keep going, Sandy. You're not the only one who finds using a pick frustrating. Happy practicing!

Jean

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:51 pm

Looks like you nose all about it for sure !

Thanks for sharing the FOTW !

Dermot

sandysue

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks Bart

I'm gonna go to the guitar store this week and pick out some of those different guitar picks you mentioned. (no pun intended). Neil used coarse sand paper on mine today and it really helped. I'll let you know what happens.

Willem. I'm going to buy some of that double sided tape and see what happens. I'm sure it will help. And about the hen house song. That was a Neilism. He made that up. I was just the one laughing.

Jean. It does sound like you and I are at about the same level. We like some of the same music and we like fingerpicking best. We just have to set our minds on learning to use a pick for some songs. I know we can do it.

Sandy

sandysue

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Now be nice Dermot. Maybe I should have been more specific on the picking part. We're talking guitars and flat picks here babe. I think you're referring to an entirely different subject.

Sandy

thereshopeyet

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 am

Sandy Wrote:
Now be nice Dermot. Maybe I should have been more specific on the picking part. We're talking guitars and flat picks here babe.
Sandy, Honey Babe :dry: :P I am talking about the same subject.
You wouldn't try Gorrilla Snot ..... yuk .... maybe try.......

"Pick Honey" by the same folk !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic