>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - The Boxer with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

This lesson started with Sandy working on arranging The Boxer to play at IGC with Vanessa and Lynn.

It turned into a great set of information on knowing your singing range, using that info to determine what key might be best for you, knowing the range of notes in a song, including the starting pitch, and working out second guitar parts with a capo playing and thinking in a relative key.

Essential viewing for everybody!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

Lavallee

Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Sandy, because of my crazy schedules and little time I have playing guitar, I normally focus on lessons of song I want to learn, for this reason, I have never watch a full FOW. However I got captivated by this one, Neil being his usual encyclopedia (positive compliment), but I thought you are becoming a very knowledgeable guitarist (way over my head). There does not seem any camera pressure as you were able to give most of the notes Neil was asking. And you sing very well.

I enjoyed the lesson very much. I am sure the Girls Trio will be a big success at the camp (which I will eventually attend).

Thanks

Marc

familyman4

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 am

Very good FOTW.

Sandy, sometimes it feels like you "take one for the team" with these lessons. I agree with Marc's comments that you do a great job of soaking up the info.

As always, thank you for sharing your lesson time with the rest of us....
Bart

TGNesh

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:43 am

Great work Sandy! :)

Oh and tell Neil that since you've decided to play this in the absolute key of G, that means that YOU are taking the lead vocals! :P Well I'm all for it!! ;)

jimcjimc

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:55 am

Agree with all! A lot of gems in this FOTW!

Especially the parts about knowing your vocal range, understanding the range of the song from lowest to highest note...

And the section of thinking about the chord progression going from 1 down to 6 down to 5 and down to 4

Good stuff!!!

willem

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:21 am

I watch all the FOTW videos ''cos there's Always great stuff in it..

Sandy I hope this works out very best for the three of you,,can't wait to hear it even when I must pay.

great lesson..

Willem

sandysue

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi Marc: Thanks for watching FOTW. I'm really glad that you enjoyed Neil's lesson yesterday. I have so many songs at home that I would love to play and sing, but a lot of times they are just not in the best key for my voice so I avoid playing them. It's great to learn this quick way to change keys on any song. Admittedly, I don't always watch my own FOTW video's either, mostly because I embarrass my own self. I'm definitely not a natural in front of a camera. :S

Thanks Bart: I like the fact that I'm able to share my lessons with other's so they can learn from Neil at the same time, but I have to admit it is a little hard to be the one on the hot seat. I have a hard time playing my guitar in front of others anyway, so when I can't play something right in my lesson, I find myself wanting to keep saying "honestly, I play that so much better at home". :)

Hi Vanessa: NO!!!! If that's the case then we will just stick to the key of "C". :) :P

Hi Jim: I'm glad you got something out of that lesson too. I'm going to miss you at camp, wish you were going to come this year.

Hi Willem: Thank you for always being so supportive. We will make sure that you get to see our IGC video's. I'm also going to video Ness and Lynn playing their guitars while riding one of my horses this year before camp. We'll be sure and post that on the forum for all of you guys to see. That should be lots of fun. Hope no one gets bucked off. :laugh: :laugh: :P

jimcjimc

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Jim: I'm glad you got something out of that lesson too. I'm going to miss you at camp, wish you were going to come this year.

Hi Sandi!

Yes, sorry to miss you and others at camp this year. My wife's birthday conflicts with camp this year. Plus, I am retired/unemployed and have already spent too much money this year on my music/camp/fun budget bucket!

I have been following the camp threads.

By the way, for anyone, not leaving early on Sunday, Don Quixote's has a 2PM or 7PM concert on Sept 21 with Richard Ho'opi'i, George Kahumoko, and Ledward Kaapana - 3 great Hawaaian musicians

Not to mention the Monterey Jazz Festival is that weekend.

TGNesh

Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:47 am

Don't get me wrong Sandy, I love to sing, but if it's up to me, I'd rather hear you sing it, I really like your voice! :cheer: No pressure though, we can try it all out! ;) So you better practice two keys! :P

sandysue wrote:

Hi Vanessa: NO!!!! If that's the case then we will just stick to the key of "C". :) :P

sandysue

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 am

OMG Ness. I have to learn 2 keys for the same song in the next 2 weeks?? That's just way too much pressure. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to call in sick for IGC. I can already feel the flu coming on. :P
That means Lynn has to learn both keys too. Haha. :)

Perhaps we should challenge everyone coming to IGC 2014 to learn The Boxer in the keys of G And C. :laugh: :laugh:

I guess they're right, misery does love company. :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic