>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson addition - Wai’uli - Neil Hogan Part 5 Section B

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new addition to the lesson release Wai’uli!

The B Section to Wai’uli has the bass line change directions and ascend from E through the D scale, then leaves us on chord V (A), opening the door to return to the A Section. It is really important that each bass note rings until the next.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson addition!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Neil

Thanks for Part 5.

In the lesson preview at the beginning you mentioned when you wrote Wai’uli.

Did something happen to inspire the tune, was it an internal ear worm bursting to escape or experimental ?

Dermot

TGNeil

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Neil

Thanks for Part 5.

In the lesson preview at the beginning you mentioned when you wrote Wai’uli.

Did something happen to inspire the tune, was it an internal ear worm bursting to escape or experimental ?

Dermot
Hi Dermot,
The short story is I walked across the street to the beach park a little before sunrise, probably about 5:00am, hit a D chord, started noodling with a little melody on the top strings, added a descending bass line, which started with a 4-note diatonic drop to G, and repeated that, which gave me four measures. To balance those four I stretched out the bass descent by making it chromatic so it could land on A, the dominant step in D. I spent maybe 30 minutes fine tuning the melody over those eight measures then started the B Section, looking for a complementary eight measures with a different mood. That's how the Em ascent came about.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago I wrote the coda, feeling like it needed one more thing to wrap it up.

Not sure that answers your question but I can say that I planned to play something new then, not just practice an old standby. Usually I write new stuff with a plan to write something new, start playing, and see what drops by. The best way to get more comfortable writing is to just do it. Don't worry about creating a masterpiece. (Anybody see Tim's Vermeer by the way?).

Neil

haoli25

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:51 pm

The 'flow' of this song seems to tell a story. It needs lyrics. Maybe a project for one of your children to add the story to this beautiful song.

Bill

thereshopeyet

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:54 am

Neil

Thanks for explaining how the tune came about.
In the same way you had a Haunting feelings when writing Rosa May which reflect in the tune.
I was wondering having named the tune Wai’uli , if there was anything in the surroundings etc
that reflect in the tune that transpired.

Dermot

Neil Wrote:

Hi Dermot,
The short story is I walked across the street to the beach park a little before sunrise, probably about 5:00am, hit a D chord, started noodling with a little melody on the top strings, added a descending bass line, which started with a 4-note diatonic drop to G, and repeated that, which gave me four measures. To balance those four I stretched out the bass descent by making it chromatic so it could land on A, the dominant step in D. I spent maybe 30 minutes fine tuning the melody over those eight measures then started the B Section, looking for a complementary eight measures with a different mood. That's how the Em ascent came about.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago I wrote the coda, feeling like it needed one more thing to wrap it up.

Not sure that answers your question but I can say that I planned to play something new then, not just practice an old standby. Usually I write new stuff with a plan to write something new, start playing, and see what drops by. The best way to get more comfortable writing is to just do it. Don't worry about creating a masterpiece. (Anybody see Tim's Vermeer by the way?).

Neil

TGNeil

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:17 am

Wai'uli was the name of the beach park, just outside Hilo.

thereshopeyet

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Neil Wrote:
Wai'uli was the name of the beach park, just outside Hilo.
I've been told it's a scenic park and beach where you hear amazing calming guitar in the air !!

:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic