>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Vocal Harmony with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Part of Sandy’s prep for the 2014 IGC was to work, or at least get a little familiar with vocal harmony.

She was planning on playing The Boxer with Lynn and Vanessa. We talked about the way you develop a second part and some of the strategies for getting better at singing something different that what you are hearing.

This is something I can explain but am not particularly competent at. There are a few embarrassing moments, at least for me, in this lesson.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

willem

Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:59 am

Hi Sandy,,this is such a good FLOTW,,way back I asked something a bout this matter (vocal harmony), its not really easy to sing harmony and keep on your own part but the more you practice the more it sits down for remember it,,my only experience is the choir I'm in and love the rehersals and the power of repeat it Thousand times,,its easy to get distract by the other singers,, :laugh: B)

Are you a soprano?

Keep your breath support low and goooooooooooooooo..

Willem

P.S Neil ''embarrasing'',, no ,,so glad now there is a explain on this matter...

sandysue

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks Willem

I used to play simple campfire songs with a friend of mine years ago. I would always sing melody and she loved to sing harmony. She was just a natural. I was never the better half of that duo.

Choir is a great place to learn to sing. I think singing with others, or videoing yourself playing and singing melody, and then trying to create a good harmony from that, might work too.

I think I am a soprano but singing is not my strong suit. I definitely need to work on the breathing part. I usually have to take a breath at the wrong time while singing, which messes up the timing.

Sandy

michelew

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Sandy,

It was interesting to see you working on this stuff with Neil.

I was recently lucky enough to spend time with some good singers. I was in a group singing class. I spend some time singing in the some section as sweet man named Robyn who not only had a beautiful voice but also was great at developing new harmony lines. I asked him how he approached it. He said he listens to the notes being sung and works out which notes from the chord are missing and incorporates them. Sounds simple doesn't it. :) :) :)

You're absolutely right about the GarageBand thing. You can record yourself playing and then record different tracks of yourself singing different lines. You can soon see whether the line works. Before you know it, you could have a whole Sandy choir singing two, three or more part harmony. Many adventures awaits you.

Good luck with the Boxer. I'm really hoping it will be recorded and posted for all of us the enjoy.

Enjoy camp. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Shel

sandysue

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi Shel

Having a beautiful voice is such a gift, but for those of us that don't, I think there are still ways to improve what we have. I know that you have a good voice, but I think a singing class would still really help, and it sounds like you had lots of fun with it. I also like your idea about garage band. Robyn sounds like he has some really good ideas on how to develop your harmonizing skills as well.

I've been taking apple classes on iMovie and garage band lately and it's given me new ways to record and develop music video's for myself. It's so much fun.

Ness and I are going to do a FOTW video next week before IGC to practice for open mic. We are going to sing and play Shotgun Down The Avalanche. I hope that I can keep it together for the whole song so I don't embarrass my poor singing partner. Oh well, she's a good sport so it should be fun. I'm sure she will also be singing and playing guitar with all of the other campers at IGC as well. It should be a great time. Wish you could come hang out with us too. :)

Sandy

michelew

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Hey Sandy! Thanks for the compliments about my voice. I sure need to do a lot of work to improve it too. I hope to find a way to sing with a group who know what they're doing regularly at some point.

Good for you about the Apple classes. iMovie and GarageBand in particular are HEAPS of fun. There is so much you can do with it and the best part is that you can try lots of things and erase the ones that don't work.

I'm sure you'll have a great time working it all out with Ness. She's amazing. I'm looking forward to the FOTW.

I'd love to join you. I guess I'll need to just enjoy it remotely. Sing up a storm my friend. It seems to me that a large part of singing well (besides lots of preparation of course) is singing with confidence and going for it. Go for it Sandy! I'll be cheering for you. :) :) :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic