>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Venus - Shocking Blue

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

In 1969 the Dutch band Shocking Blue added Mariska Veres to their line up and recorded Venus, a song written by their guitarist/founder Robbie van Leeuwen.

They are a classic example of the one-hit-wonder tag that many bands get, despite the fact that a second near-hit of theirs was covered by Nirvana, Love Buzz.

The song starts with a bang (courtesy of Pete Townsend), and follows with a simple chord progression with a driving bass line. This lesson covers double-time, syncopated, and percussive strumming, including a way to work the bass line into the strumming, as well as a technical breakdown of the short solo.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks ,,I can't believe this,,what was the breakdown/conviction you do this for a lesson(saw the lesson has not yet)

Willem

EDIT. this song is really such a sentiment,,here started my teenage time and I saw the band really when,,,till now the song was in my mind, I also met my wife where I married with (tears)...thx again.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Cool! Was just thinking about this song the other day...

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:16 pm

I found this video about Shocking Blue and Mariska Veres. Her father was a gypsy violinist. My Dutch isn't so good (who's is!!) but at the beginning of the clip they mention that Mariska sang Godess as Godness and sang out of tune on the skat bit ;-). Maybe Willem or Vanessa can help us out her on the gist of what they are telling us about the making of this song.

unclewalt

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:27 pm

willem

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:01 pm

unclewalt wrote:
From the "You Learn Something New Every Day" file: I was poking around on this song a bit and discovered that not only was the opening chord a lift from (or "homage" to) Pete Townshend, but the whole rest of the song is basically a lift from (or "homage" to) this tune by the Big Three, which itself lifted (no "homage," just a lift) the lyrics of "Oh, Susanna."

WOW walt...that looks the same...it good be theft,,after the lesson its a homage to Neil Hogan,, :laugh: :laugh: B)

WILLEM

edit.. YEAH the wiki told me too..interesting was- it was a loan,Love your line ''you learn something every day'' and was suprised by the melody loan from ''blowin in the wind''

willem

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:09 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I found this video about Shocking Blue and Mariska Veres. Her father was a gypsy violinist. My Dutch isn't so good (who's is!!) but at the beginning of the clip they mention that Mariska sang Godess as Godness and sang out of tune on the skat bit ;-). Maybe Willem or Vanessa can help us out her on the gist of what they are telling us about the making of this song.

We have memories with songs but I was not engrossed as tekst in my youth,maybe now but that can't change the memorie,,maybe it was the groove ..It must be !!

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, that's a turn up for the books Walt! Pretty much a 1:1 copy.

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:47 pm

This is a great song, just loved it.
What a cool lesson Thanks !

Dermot

Lavallee

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:44 am

Good lesson Neil thanks for adding the bass line, it makes it way more fun to play. Also like the intro chord.

Don't want to open a can of worm here, It seems that taking some idea or a blunt copy from another song is a common practice (no just for Jimmy Page, thank god :) .

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic