>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - That Year - Brandi Carlile

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

That Year is a song by the very talented American alternative country and folk rock singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile.

The fifth track of her 2009 album ‘Give Up The Ghost’, That Year was the second single to be released in 2010. It’s about the suicide of a friend when she was 16 years old and Brandi describes it as the saddest song on the record. The song features an easy progression and lovely fingerpicking arrangement in the key of G, where the guitar is capoed on the 9th fret.

The lesson breaks down the progression and takes a close look at several examples of the main patterns. The picking contains a lot of room for variations, since Brandi plays it very randomly, anyone trying to tackle this one is encouraged to do the same.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

sandysue

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Ness

That's a beautiful song. Brandi has a really nice voice, she can really hit those high notes. Are you going to sing that song for us. I'm sure you will sound equally as good. :)

Sandy

jayswett

Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Great lesson. THanks Vanessa.

willem

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:29 am

I really like the pickin pattern and the sounds it makes,,

Willem

michelew

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:05 pm

TGNessa,

Thanks for teaching this beautiful, sad song. The fingerpicking is really gorgeous. She and her band have so many really lovely songs, many sad ones too...

I haven't gotten very far into the lesson segments. My internet provider is letting me down at the moment. I'm getting a drip feed for some bizarre reason. So I'm working off the tab and GPro, which are fabulous. but, the segments I've managed to watched so far have been informative too as always.

While you're in a Brandie Carlile mood, here's another one you might consider teaching. It's also a great fingerpicking one and it's upbeat and fun; great lyrics too.

Thanks for another great lesson, great song. I'm thinking it might be best to go with the 7th fret as I'm not comfortable hearing my voice up where she sings it; maybe the 8th to keep the guitar sounding more like the album. I can do it... :) ... But... I'm still in denial about the range of my girlie voice. :) :p (and I'm currently playing it on my nylon, 12 frets to the body, so lower is easier).

Thanks Nessa!

Shel

TGNesh

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 am

You're too kind Sandy! :) But I have to say, I really don't think I can do her songs justice vocally... :S ..gosh, isn't she just amazing??! Quite a heartbreaking song... I absolutely aimed for a complete play through, as I usually do, but I had too little time to make that happen, too bad. :(

Thanks my friend!

Ness

sandysue wrote:
Hi Ness

That's a beautiful song. Brandi has a really nice voice, she can really hit those high notes. Are you going to sing that song for us. I'm sure you will sound equally as good. :)

Sandy

TGNesh

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 am

You're very welcome Jay!

jayswett wrote:
Great lesson. THanks Vanessa.

TGNesh

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:22 am

Ah too bad you couldn't watch it all.... :(

Yeah, quite a beautiful and sad song, but the fingerpicking is really nice. And you're right, she has a lot of awesome stuff!

Now when are you going to stop denying that you sound best 'up there???!!! :laugh: You dó, I'm not kidding! Well like I mentioned in the lesson, Brandi is usually on the 9th, but occasionally on the 8th or even 7th, so I'd say it's all good....still get óut of the basement! :P

I think 'Have you heard' is on the drawing board, so chances are that I'll get to it some time. ;)

Thanks so much Shel!

Ness

michelew wrote:
TGNessa,

Thanks for teaching this beautiful, sad song. The fingerpicking is really gorgeous. She and her band have so many really lovely songs, many sad ones too...

I haven't gotten very far into the lesson segments. My internet provider is letting me down at the moment. I'm getting a drip feed for some bizarre reason. So I'm working off the tab and GPro, which are fabulous. but, the segments I've managed to watched so far have been informative too as always.

While you're in a Brandie Carlile mood, here's another one you might consider teaching. It's also a great fingerpicking one and it's upbeat and fun; great lyrics too.

Thanks for another great lesson, great song. I'm thinking it might be best to go with the 7th fret as I'm not comfortable hearing my voice up where she sings it; maybe the 8th to keep the guitar sounding more like the album. I can do it... :) ... But... I'm still in denial about the range of my girlie voice. :) :p (and I'm currently playing it on my nylon, 12 frets to the body, so lower is easier).

Thanks Nessa!

Shel

TGNesh

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:19 am

Good to hear Willem! :)

willem wrote:
I really like the pickin pattern and the sounds it makes,,

Willem

fifa15plat

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:11 pm

WoW that was fantastic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic