>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Such Great Heights - Iron & Wine

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Such Great Heights is a song originally recorded by the electronic music band The Postal Service, which was covered by Samuel Beam, better known for his stage name Iron & Wine, for the Garden State Soundtrack.

The lesson breaks down the album version which features a lovely travis style fingerpicking arrangement in swing time. It’s in the key of C, using only the I, IV and V where the guitar is capoed on the 6th fret.

In the lesson we also take a look at how Samuel performs the song on stage since it’s very different from the album version. It involves subtle strumming with straight feel instead of swing, a little palm muting and a few embellishments such as hammer-ons. He also changes the absolute key by taking the capo down or even off while singing the melody an octave up. Anyone tackling this version is encouraged to play it as random and free form as he does.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

dtaylor

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Well this is right up my strasse Vanessa, love it love it love it!

I've sore fingers from learning Little Song but I'll drop everything to learn this.

Both versions are wonderful, great choice of song, thank you.

sandysue

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi Ness

Great song. This song reminds me just a little bit of the pink floyd song "If". You sing this song really beautifully.

Sandy

michelew

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:36 pm

TGNessa,

This is a BEAUTIFUL song. And I'm SO shocked that you've taught the fingerpicking and the strumming versions. NOT! :P they do feel very different.

The lesson is nicely detailed as always and the tab is fabulous too.

Your playthroughs were both great. The fingerpicking version was really beautiful, sweet and sad. The strumming version was a different beast altogether. Today I think I preferred ithe second one. You had a great energy in it. I liked that it was faster too. The muting is really cool as were the embellishments and the phrasing and intensity of your singing was fabulous. Loved them both, but the second one was a little more powerful for me....today.

As for learning it myself...yes I'm sure you'll have a great deal of trouble working out which one I'll be focussing on. :)

Thanks!

Shel

dennisg

Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:38 am

This is great, Nessa! I can't wait to dig into this one. Thanks so much.

dtaylor

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:18 pm

OK, it's decided, the best version is played open and the hammer on from open to F is just perfection. It may be a judgement upon my taste in music but it doesn't get better than this, 3 chords and and a beautiful melody are all it takes. I wish I could write something so wonderful...
Love your play through on both versions btw.

TGNesh

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:48 am

Dtaylor: Awesome to read that you're enjoying this one so much Dean! :cheer: So strumming and key of C in open position it is? I can actually really imagine you playing and singing it, so would you pleeeeeeeeease share it with us?? That would be SO awesome too!! And yeah, I'm with you on this, 3 chords and a beautiful melody is all it takes, just fabulous. Thanks for your comments on the play throughs, it's actually the only lesson which has 2 of those. Thanks again Dean!

Sandy: Thanks so much Sandy, very pleased you like it and yeah I really love to sing this song, such a beautiful melody! And as you pointed out elsewhere, love the swing time too. Although I also like the strumming-version. ;) Thanks my friend!

Michele: So which version do you like best TODAY Shel??? :P I absolutely agree, they do feel very different. Shocked that I taught both versions?? Haha! :laugh: Yeah, I never make it very easy on myself, since I do want to record lessons that I can be proud of and for which I've done my very best. As a teacher, I do want to make a difference. Anyway, thanks so much dear friend! :) :)

Dennis: You're absolutely welcome Den', enjoyed working on this one a lot! And don't hesitate to share it with us! ;)

Thanks again you guys and gals, loved to read your comments!

TGNessa B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic