>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Prelude In D Minor by J.S. Bach - Classical Guitar

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
kelemenj

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:17 am

I really like your take on measures 31-34. I have been revisiting this piece and I will definitely be incorporating those suggestions. Though I may or may not use all your suggestions, I will certainly try them out and consider them. I have this piece in several volumes and the finger suggestions always vary.
Regards,
John

Editorial note: This may be called a 'beginner piece' because it tends to be introduced early on in a classical repertoire. However, to be able to do the piece justice with clarity, consistency, dynamics, and most importantly artistic expression (in other words, the way Neil plays it in his play through example) requires skills that go far beyond that of a novice.

kelemenj

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Hey Neil,
I was going over your fingering suggestions and I really am impressed! You have obviously put quite a bit of thought and effort into this lesson and it really shows. Some of the fingerings are not the easiest or the most intuitive but I understand WHY you chose these. Many of the measures allow for several different options and I can tell that you weighed and considered all of them.
I am looking forward to implementing this lesson.
Now in the preview vlideo, I heard a tease of Prelude in C from the Well Tempered Clavier. I have dabbled with that one myself. If you ever feel moved to work that one out, I would certainly be appreciative. If not, no problem. I understand it is a major undertaking for a lesson.
Anyway, Thanks for the great work!
Regards,
John

TGNeil

Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:28 pm

kelemenj wrote:
Hey Neil,
I was going over your fingering suggestions and I really am impressed! You have obviously put quite a bit of thought and effort into this lesson and it really shows. Some of the fingerings are not the easiest or the most intuitive but I understand WHY you chose these. Many of the measures allow for several different options and I can tell that you weighed and considered all of them.
I am looking forward to implementing this lesson.
Now in the preview vlideo, I heard a tease of Prelude in C from the Well Tempered Clavier. I have dabbled with that one myself. If you ever feel moved to work that one out, I would certainly be appreciative. If not, no problem. I understand it is a major undertaking for a lesson.
Anyway, Thanks for the great work!
Regards,
John
Hey John,

Thanks for the comments and I must admit that this lesson took much longer than I had planned. This kind of in-depth project is something I hope to be doing more of in the immediate future. It is very challenging and rewarding on many fronts and levels, particularly when I get feedback like yours.

I guess the bad news is that the quantity of new material may slow a bit, but the good is this is the type of thing that can certainly up the quality, as well as present big challenges to pretty accomplished players. Maybe this week I'll update everybody on the progress of the Scott Joplin pieces I have been working on.

The Prelude In C is another great example of difficulties encountered with transcribing Bach to the guitar. I remember the first piece I tackled from The Well Tempered Clavier was Prelude #6 in Dm, creating my own transcription of course. This was around the same time my friend John Dimick and I were working on our own guitar duet arrangement of Scherezade. Ah, the grandiose plans of youth...

Neil

michelew

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:17 am

I think I'm in on learning this one though I expect it to be a looooong term project. It's a beautiful piece.

I just finished watching the first part and after starting to play it I can tell this will help to improve a range of things for me; stretches, finger independence, fluidity, really thinking about different fingerings and advantages... Well the list goes on I'm sure.

Thanks Neil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic