>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Old Pine - Ben Howard

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Ben Howard is a very talented British singer-songwriter who is known for his melodic, rootsy folk music, with dark lyrics. In 2013 he won both Brit Awards for which he had been nominated, British Breakthrough Act and British Solo Male Artist.

Old Pine is taken from his debut studio album ‘Every Kingdom’, which was released in 2011. It features only three chords, C G and Am, but quite a few different, yet easy chord shapes in the key of C.

The playing involves fast picking, uptempo strumming at the speed of 16th’s, and several embellishments, such as pull off’s and slides. Note that the song is definitely not for beginners. It may even be challenging for intermediate players and basic picking and strumming skills are absolutely necessary.

The guitar is tuned to CGCGGC, a tuning that Ben often uses, and capoed on the 5th fret.

Enjoy this level 6 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

michelew

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:50 pm

WOW! I LOVED your playing in the preview Nessa and the play-along of course. What a COOL song. There's so much going on in there, so many interesting things and I love the way the energy builds moving from picking to heavy strumming. The riff is cool too.

Great choice. I haven't started watching the lesson segments yet as I imagine it will take me QUITE a while to get this one down. But, I imagine the final result will be well worth it.

I LOVE the way you find such cool, sweet sounding and current songs and bring them to us with all the goods to help us get them down.

Thanks for another great offering Teach!

Shel

jayswett

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:38 am

Wow. Great song. Worth learning for that riff alone.

thereshopeyet

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 am

Vanessa
Great songs and sound by Ben Howard.
Thanks for the lesson a la Vanessa style.

:)

sandysue

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi Vanessa. I like this song. I like how it starts with soft, mellow finger picking and then builds in intensity.

You make the guitar part look so effortless Ness, like you could read a book and play at the same time. That's talent. :)

I also like that Ben is a lefty. :)

Sandy

willem

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Great lesson again Ness,,

Willem

Ps You looked a bit worried in the preview...or was that your focused look?

TGNesh

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Hey guys and gals, it's pretty awesome to read your comments :cheer: , especially because I sure did my best for this one!

Michele: No shame in working on this one for a bit Shel :P, like mentioned, it's definitely not a song for beginners. He's actually a pretty good guitar player, lots of tricky stuff in there. Really pleased to hear you like my choice of songs and artists, I sure try to mix them up and keep it interesting. And as always, just absolutely LOVE to read your never ending support and kind, sweet and enthousiastic comments, I'll never get used to them! ;) :kiss:

Jay: Awesome to hear Jay! And I'm with you, it's a really cool song to play (just the riff alone), hope you'll enjoy learning it. Many thanks for your comment!

Dermot: A la Vanessa style? What exactly is that? :laugh: Glad you like it though! :P Thanks Dermot!

Sandy: Aaah many thanks my friend, you're too kind! :cheer: Yeah, I love how it's build up as well, really cool! Funny that you mention it, but i didn't even notice he was a lefty. I guess I have no problems (figuring out what they're playing) when watching guitar players in a mirror, haha! :laugh: :P Thanks again Sandy!

Willem: Gosh Willem, you know me too well... :S I was both worried and focussed...focussed, because I just wanted to get it right (which is harder when the camera is turned on) and worried if I would make the deadline.... :blink: Well, eventually it worked out well enough, except for the very serious face. Thanks Willem!

TGNess B)

dtaylor

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I look forward to every lesson you put up. I think your taste in music (if that does inform your lesson choices) is superb and coincides with mine exactly. I wish I had enough time on my hands to keep up with your output.
Keep up the good work Vanessa!

All the best,
Dean

TGNesh

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:21 am

Have to admit that i'm more than very delighted to read your comment Dean! In thruth, I had thought of you when working on this one, wondering or actually thinking that it is pretty much your cup of tea (and I was right! :cheer: ;) ). So I was actually hoping/waiting for you to drop by here. :)

As for lessons and my taste in music, I do a lot of research, trying to find artists/songs (often current ones) which would make great lessons for the guitar. So I bump into a lot that I don't know, but come to like and enjoy very much. It's always really nice to discover new artists/bands too and then I get carried away as well (like Neil). I could easily add 3 more Ben Howard songs (another one will be released next week, very cool song!). Very happy that you like the choices I make, since I really do my best for it.

Thank you very much Dean, it means a lot to me. All the best to you too and don't hesitate to share whatever you're working on! :)

Ness

dtaylor wrote:
I look forward to every lesson you put up. I think your taste in music (if that does inform your lesson choices) is superb and coincides with mine exactly. I wish I had enough time on my hands to keep up with your output.
Keep up the good work Vanessa!

All the best,
Dean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic