>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Lyric Collaboration Project – And Winter Glows

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
davidrfinn99165

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Oh dear, I was born ornery.

Is Neil a pirate or a coastguard?

sandysue

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:01 pm

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
Oh dear, I was born ornery.

Is Neil a pirate or a coastguard?

Well David, Neil is the parent of three grown children, so my guess is that he could be all of the above as needed. However, The majority of us would agree that for the most part he is a very sweet person.

When I was rambling earlier about the melody to this song, I was just trying to say that I think I actually need to know the melody pretty well before I attempt to write lyrics, even though I know that songwriters do it both ways.I guess I got a little impulsive. :)

Sandy

crieniecat

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:30 am

I just love all of the lyrics from you guys!
Or even better said, beautiful poems. Wow!

It's funny to see how many different emotions come to us just listening to a certain melody line. I do like to think
that when there would have been no title for the song something completely different would have been written.
For me it just proves how powerful words and music is. Not to say the least when having those two combined...

Great project Neil!
Corina.

TGNesh

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:38 am

And now yóur take on it! :)

crieniecat wrote:
I just love all of the lyrics from you guys!
Or even better said, beautiful poems. Wow!

It's funny to see how many different emotions come to us just listening to a certain melody line. I do like to think
that when there would have been no title for the song something completely different would have been written.
For me it just proves how powerful words and music is. Not to say the least when having those two combined...

Great project Neil!
Corina.

TGNesh

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:40 am

Great job Jean, love your take on it as well, just beautiful!!

Many thanks for sharing it with us! :)

Ness

fjeanmur wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
Gosh.....Sandy.....that was beautiful, I could just picture it all...makes me wanna...there is no emoticon for that...

Awesome ladies, love both your versions!

Would love to read yours too Jean!!! :)
OK, then here it is, the best I can do at the moment. Could someone please explain to me why just when you think you have they syllables matched to the notes, the next time you listen it's wrong? I know some things are still off, though. Oh well. But this has been a great experience trying something that I never thought I would. I've enjoyed reading everyone elses, so here's mine.

And Winter Glows

As everybody knows
When lakes have frozen
That darkness falls early
On our doors.

And on the fallen snow
in moonlight glistening
Paper-thin leaves
That fell from trees and
Go to where they're blown.

A familiar sadness grows
From promises broken
We never meant to last
Throughout time.

I remember long ago
When time seemed endless
Now flies like leaves
Caught in a breeze
And melts in the embers' glow.

Another year's gone by
Don't know where time goes
And winter is back 'round my door.

These thoughts I have of you
Through the year so well guarded
Come to mind once more.

But then as winter goes
And time unfrozen comes
As the sun's rays
Warm my door.

The slowly melting snow
runs down and I'm listening
to the whispering breeze
Through soft moving trees
As springtime grows and grows,
My sadness goes,
The winter knows.

michelew

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:44 am

fjeanmur wrote:
Hey Sandy, David, Daryl and Michele!

Thanks for weighing in on my take on the project. I think we all should pat ourselves on the back for getting something up on the site because I think we all would agree that it was a challenge. My question now is, what did we learn from it? I learned that a week ago I would have thought it impossible for me to ever attempt to write lyrics. What I came up may fall within the trite and schmaltz (Is that what you called it, Michele?) category, but I got it done more or less fitting the music.

So, what mistakes did we make, what did we learn from them and how could we do it better if given the chance?

I learned that there has to be a better way to make sure that the words fit the music;
I learned that I have to work on a larger computer screen so I can see all the text at the same time;
I learned that while it was painstaking work, it was really enjoyable because I came up with something (even if I didn't get to be a pirate!).

So what are everyone's thoughts?

Good quesrion Jean. BTW - I don't think your lyrics are trite or schmultzy at all. I think they are beautiful, insightful and sensitive.

What DID I learn? I learned that:

- I don't really experience much of a winter and my best winter imagery comes from holidays abroad and movies. :)

- I've got to listen to a track A LOT, before I can craft lyrics (Yep Jean, I need to develop an earworm)

- it's a good idea (for me at least) to just write for a while without editing too much just write to warm up and to get ideas flowing

- don't be too attached to the story you THINK you're writing. If it changes when you're listening to the music, the story probably needs to change to reflect the mood of the music itself

- when you think you've got something that works, you still need to keep singing it and adjusting it to make sure it matches the rhythm of the song. Actually, my brain is still thinking of ways to improve my lyrics. But I'm ignoring it. :)

- don't give up; just keep listening, keep writing, keep singing what you've written and adjusting it until it starts to develop. At one point I thought....maybe I just can't write lyrics for THIS song. But.... I ended up with something in the end, which was satisfying.

Like Daryl, I also find that I have no idea what I'm doing and need to practice, practice, practice. But, I like the process. I think I'm getting the hang of it slowly.

It's been a real privilege to be able to try this with a piece that Neil has written.

Neil obviously has his own story in mind. It will be really interesting to see how he develops it.

As for forum pirates, arrrrrrrrrrrr... You've got to watch out for the sneaky thread stealers. :) but, if confronted by one, just start singing they love a song.

michelew

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:57 am

sandysue wrote:
HI Jean, Michele, David, Daryl and everyone else

I just looked at the music to this song, and listened to the melody a few times again It looks like it's in the key of A. I'm thinking that it might be easiest to just create the most simple fingerpicking pattern to this melody by using the chords provided, alternate the base to those chords, and then insert the melody into the fingerpicking pattern. Its already done for us actually. Neil has it on GPro. Then we can start humming the melody and see if any of our lyrics fit the melody pattern.

I've never written a song before so I could be all wet, but that's what I thought anyway. We can always learn the more complicated instrumental part later once we get our song written. Tell me what you think.

By the way, you guys are already honorary members of the pirate club. You're honorary as long as you don't get ornery. :P Michele is the captain even though she is professing to BEHAVE these days. :)
Sandy,

I downloaded the audio from the track that Neil loaded at the bottom of the original post to this thread, but it doesn't seem to be there now. Then I just listened to it on repeat whenever I got the chance. I then started to write AS I was listening to it, stopping from time to time when I was trying to get an idea down.

I'd be happy to send you the track if you'd like me to.

I think the easiet way to get a track of yourself singing the song (before you learn it of course) is to load the downloaded track into GarageBand and then sing and record your own voice against it straight into GarageBand too.

If you'd like me to explain the above in more detail, let me know. I'd be happy to. Just contact me directly.

Shel

TGNeil

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:21 am

michelew wrote:

Sandy,

I downloaded the audio from the track that Neil loaded at the bottom of the original post to this thread, but it doesn't seem to be there now...
Michele,
The file is still there, I just embedded the video into the original post later. You can watch it at Vimeo by clicking on the Vimeo icon in the lower right corner, just like YouTube, and download the audio from there I believe.

Neil

BTW, I have loved watching the evolution of this project and will have more comments soon.

Great job gang!!!

michelew

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks Neil. When I look at the first page of this thread on my iPhone or iPad, there's a big white space under the lesson video window. I can see now when looking at it on my Mac that you've now inserted a Vimeo window where I was previously seeing a link.

So if anyone else out there is having trouble seeing the Vimeo track, I suggest you try to access it via a computer rather than an i-device.

Here's a link to the first Page to get you back there:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/76- ... glows.html

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:56 am

David mentioned the Lyric Collaboration Project.
I found it using the Advanced Search feature.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic