>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Skinny Love - Bon Iver

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Grammy Award winner Bon Iver is an American indie folk band founded in 2007 by singer-songwriter Justin Vernon. Skinny Love was the first single released from their debut album ‘For Emma, Forever Ago’. It was also successfully covered by artists such as 15-year old Birdie and Ed Sheeran.

It features relatively easy chord shapes in the key of C, in an open C-tuning where the strings are tuned as CGEGCC. It’s in swing time, with a simple main strumming pattern. The lesson covers the progression as well as all the fun to play riffs and embellishments such as slides, pull-off’s and hammer-on’s which appear throughout the song.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Vanessa

I haven't heard of Bon Iver before.

Gosh, that tuning creates a strange but attractive sound.

Looks to be a cool lesson, no change there eh ? :P

Dermot

:)

willem

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:48 am

I really thought it was Birdy's song and love that one but who thought it was a cover, me not.

Great lesson Ness

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:18 am

You're certainly not the only one there Willem and it actually outrages Bon Iver-fans a bit. :laugh: Gosh, on youtube people are argueing about it all over the place, who's version is so called 'better' and such. Personally I'd say it's a pointless discussion. The original was on guitar, by a male, key of C, swing time. Birdie's version was on a piano, by a female, key of E, straight feel. Couldn't be much different right?! In the end it's a matter of taste. However the original is just fun to play on guitar and the other is nice for piano, which i have taught to a lot of my piano-students. However it took me quite a while before I heard the original, although I did know Birdie's version was a cover of Bon Iver, but that was about it.

Many thanks Willem! :)

willem wrote:
I really thought it was Birdy's song and love that one but who thought it was a cover, me not.

Great lesson Ness

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:23 am

Oh it's absolutely fun to play on guitar! Not too hard, but sounding cool anyway. (hope the lesson is equally cool ;) ) You should try it! :)

Many hanks Dermot!

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

I haven't heard of Bon Iver before.

Gosh, that tuning creates a strange but attractive sound.

Looks to be a cool lesson, no change there eh ? :P

Dermot

:)

michelew

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:27 am

TGNessa,

Another cool song. I hadn't heard it til last week. :) rock!

I LOVE your playthrough. The open C tuning sounds great. I swear at a couple of points I was hearing another instrument, but I guess it was just the guitar singing a heap of extra frequencies.

Cool riffs, love the swing time, and your vocals always make me smile. :) :) :)

Thanks sweet Teach!

Shel

TGNesh

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:03 am

Hey my sweet biggest fan !! :kiss:

Many many thanks for your sweet comment! It's a cool song indeed and not too hard. It had to grow on me I have to say, I'm not much a fan of his singing, but it did grab me at one point, since it's much fun to play and I really like swing time too. Glad you liked my vocals though, haha! :P :cheer:

And yeah, the guitar makes a lot of sounds I suppose, this week I'm in Open E-tuning, sounds great too! :)

Anyway, thank you very much Captain! :P

TGNessa B)

michelew wrote:
TGNessa,

Another cool song. I hadn't heard it til last week. :) rock!

I LOVE your playthrough. The open C tuning sounds great. I swear at a couple of points I was hearing another instrument, but I guess it was just the guitar singing a heap of extra frequencies.

Cool riffs, love the swing time, and your vocals always make me smile. :) :) :)

Thanks sweet Teach!

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic