Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Quicksand with Chris

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Chris is 17 years old and has been taking lessons with me for over 7 years. Over the last few he has really gotten into instrumental fingerpicking.

He plays things like Classical Gas, The Last Steam Engine Train, Bermuda Triangle Exit, and Whodunit. We recently started on Quicksand which is coming along nicely. He has the music but relegates things to memory very quickly. Notice how he plays little parts repeatedly as we go through them.

At the end of the lesson he plays a couple of the other pieces I mentioned. I hope to make him a regular in the Fly On The Wall series.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... chris.html

sbutler

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks Neil for sharing Chris's lesson. And a big thanks to Chris for allowing us to sit in.

I've had this song on the brain for a long time, but didn't have the skills to tackle it. I think I can muster thru it now, but need a little clean up. I've also learned that Guitar Pro is the only way I can get anywhere with this song.

Chris, your doing great. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks again,
Scott

and oh yeah, this Chris is a real "picker" I'm impressed with everything he does.

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Neil and Chris

Great FOTW, thanks.

Dermot

davidrfinn99165

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:46 am

Great playing Chris. I just started working on the first two sections of Quicksand at the weekend so this is very timely.

Lets talk 'hinge bar' for a moment. Every time Neil works this into his instrumentals I come out in hives. Does anyone else struggle with forming the hinge bar cleanly? I feel like i'd have to break my index finger first knuckle to get it on.

Is it a total cop-out after the brief intro of Quicksand to finger the lead-in B note at 4th fret 3rd string (ie instead of the open 2nd) and then work off a conventional B Minor chord to fingerpick through that bar and into the G fingering etc ? I call it my 'cluge' but it kinda works with maybe a little less resonance. . Neil, if we were having a lesson would you hit my knuckle with a hammer to get me into a hinge bar or is there an easier way??

once again Chris, that was terrific.

/ david

sbutler

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:05 pm

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
Great playing Chris. I just started working on the first two sections of Quicksand at the weekend so this is very timely.

Lets talk 'hinge bar' for a moment. Every time Neil works this into his instrumentals I come out in hives. Does anyone else struggle with forming the hinge bar cleanly? I feel like i'd have to break my index finger first knuckle to get it on.

Is it a total cop-out after the brief intro of Quicksand to finger the lead-in B note at 4th fret 3rd string (ie instead of the open 2nd) and then work off a conventional B Minor chord to fingerpick through that bar and into the G fingering etc ? I call it my 'cluge' but it kinda works with maybe a little less resonance. . Neil, if we were having a lesson would you hit my knuckle with a hammer to get me into a hinge bar or is there an easier way??

/ david
no David, there is nothing easy about that "hinge barr thing" Just hang in there, it will come. Scott

willem

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:12 pm

sbutler wrote:
davidrfinn99165 wrote:

/ david
no David, there is nothing easy about that "hinge barr thing" Just hang in there, it will come. Scott
I work a lot on the hinge bar at the moment and I have to go from a D chord to an A chord with an A note on the first string 5th fret, I focus a lot on the knuckle up,,

Willem

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Willem Wrote
I work a lot on the hinge bar at the moment and I have to go from a D chord to an A chord with an A note on the first string 5th fret, I focus a lot on the knuckle up.
I think I got dealt a gammy hand when it comes to contortionistic fingers too.
Jealous Guy, yes !

Remember eat your crusts !!

Dermot

:ohmy: Image

sbutler

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:53 pm

sbutler wrote:
Thanks Neil for sharing Chris's lesson. And a big thanks to Chris for allowing us to sit in.

I've had this song on the brain for a long time, but didn't have the skills to tackle it. I think I can muster thru it now, but need a little clean up. I've also learned that Guitar Pro is the only way I can get anywhere with this song.

Chris, your doing great. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks again,
Scott

and oh yeah, this Chris is a real "picker" I'm impressed with everything he does.

Just out of curiosity, I checked out "whodunnit" and found there is no GP files for this song. Is that just an oversight, or a test?

willem

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:52 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem Wrote
I work a lot on the hinge bar at the moment and I have to go from a D chord to an A chord with an A note on the first string 5th fret, I focus a lot on the knuckle up.
I think I got dealt a gammy hand when it comes to contortionistic fingers too.
Jealous Guy, yes !

Remember eat your crusts !!

Dermot

:ohmy: Image

Dermot this helped a lot too..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic