>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of - U2

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

U2 are an Irish rock band from Dublin who actually don’t need an introduction at all. They have released 13 albums, won 22 Grammy Awards, more than any other band and are one of the world’s best selling music artists of all time.

Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of is the second single from their 2000 album ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’ and won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal in 2002.

U2’s lead singer Bono has stated that he wrote the song about the suicide of his friend Michael Hutchence, lead singer of the band INXS. It’s about a fight between friends which he felt guilty for never having with Hutchence when he was still alive.

The lesson takes a look at the acoustic version as being performed on the David Letterman show and also other live performances in which Edge plays it by himself.

The arrangement is done in an open E-tuning, where the 5th and 4th string are raised a whole step and the 3th string a half step. It’s in the key of E, using chords I, II, IV, V, VI, a few out of the key and a diminished chord.

The playing involves flatpicking, syncopated chord changes and random strumming at the speed of 16th’s with accents on beat 1, the ‘and’ of beat 2 and beat 4.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

TGNesh

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:10 pm

I meant for this particular link to be posted here, awesome performance! :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Vanessa

You pick some fantastic songs for your lessons.
Would you ever consider adding a singing part to your lessons
Explaining how to co-ordinate singing with the guitar playing.

Dermot

:)

jayswett

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:10 am

Another great lesson. I had planned on starting (again) Classical Gas this weekend, but I think this song will require some attention instead.

jayswett

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:45 am

Vanessa,
Quick question. Is there any reason (for this song) that it wouldn't be better to tune the guitar to Open D, then capo on 2nd fret?
Jay

TGNesh

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 am

Not sure about 'better', but it's of course an option that would work just fine. Maybe even 'better' after all if you want to sing it (without the capo then), Bono's vocals can be pretty high!

Many thanks for the comment Jay, great to hear you'll be tackling this one! (Classical Gas will always be here anyway. ;) )

Ness

jayswett wrote:
Vanessa,
Quick question. Is there any reason (for this song) that it wouldn't be better to tune the guitar to Open D, then capo on 2nd fret?
Jay

TGNesh

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:34 am

Glad to hear you can appreciate some of the songs I pick Dermot! I absolutely try to be varied there.

As for considering adding singing parts, I sure have and I actually have done it once or twice in a lesson. (when the guitarplaying didn't involve too much). But as you can imagine, it'd take quite an amount of extra work. Just being able to do a play through (very often I know the song for maybe a week) takes half or more of the preparation time. I guess I've set the bar pretty high for myself. So in short, it'd be too much for me. If you think about it, adding singing is adding another instrument, so yes a lot of more work.

Well maybe I should put together a playing and singing course or something. In the end, for anyone who wants to play the guitar and add vocals, learn the basic rules and apply them with each song you would want to sing.

Thanks for dropping by Dermot and the suggestion, I actually think it's a good one. :)

Ness

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

You pick some fantastic songs for your lessons.
Would you ever consider adding a singing part to your lessons
Explaining how to co-ordinate singing with the guitar playing.

Dermot

:)

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:05 pm

This was on my wish-list, so will devour it promptly ... (burp !) :silly:

TGNesh

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:59 pm

Awesome, how cool!! :cheer:

cosmicmechanic wrote:
This was on my wish-list, so will devour it promptly ... (burp !) :silly:

michelew

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:17 pm

TGNessa,

VERY COOL addition to the song library, vey cool. Great song. I didn't know this was about Michael Hutchence. That's really interesting. It was a tragic death.

I've been anticipating a U2 song for a while now. I loved your U2 medley in the 3-4 chord song busking thread. It's great to see you teaching this song now.

It works really nicely as an accoustic song. I like the combo of strumming and flat picking too. As much as open tunings are a pain in the bum to keep retuning, they sound great. You've broken the song down really nicely in the lesson too BTW. It's very easy to follow as always.

I LOVE your play through, you've really captured the feeling even though it's just you on the guitar and your gorgeous voice. Fabulous.

Thanks for another great choice and lesson Ness.

Xxx

Shel

Edit: I had to find your U2 medley and rewatch it. The shout out to Cori at the end cracked me up too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic