>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Angel - Sarah McLachlan

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGCory

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:25 pm

Hello Everyone!

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Angel is a song by Canadian singer-songwriter Sarah McLachlan, from her 1997 album ‘Surfacing’. It later appeared on numerous soundtracks, including the movie ‘City Of Angels’.
It was inspired by articles that McLachlan read in Rolling Stone about musicians turning to heroin to cope with the pressures of the music industry and subsequently overdosing.

The arrangement is in ¾ time with swing feel. It’s done in the key of C, where the guitar is capoed on the first fret, although Sarah often performs the song in the key of D instead of Db.
The progression uses all the chords in the key, including several colorful chords, except chord VII.
The lesson covers the chords, progression and shows a look at the right hand, which is a combination of picking and strumming. The latter is absolutely my take on how I would approach such an accompaniment done on a piano.
Since Sarah’s playing is very free and different in every performance, students trying to tackle this song are encouraged to work on their abilities to play freeform and random as well. The play through shows á way of how it could be done.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:10 pm

Wow, thats a coincident I just listen to this song, could you read my mind.

Thanks Vanessa and for sure Corina too

Think this is a great lesson and song!! for trying the freeform playing.

Willem

TGNesh

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Haha, of course! :laugh: I asked you earlier this week if you were able to look over my shoulder, remember?! :P :laugh:

willem wrote:
Wow, thats a coincident I just listen to this song, could you read my mind.

Thanks Vanessa and for sure Corina too

Think this is a great lesson and song!! for trying the freeform playing.

Willem

davidrfinn99165

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Great song choice Vanessa. I first came across Sarah Mc on the Lilith Fair DVD. Lovely playthrough!!

sandysue

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:42 pm

I love this song you guys. You both sound terrific. Thank you for making this a Lesson Ness. Really beautiful.

Sandy

TGNesh

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Of course, the Lilith Fair, gosh she's SO awesome!!

Many thanks David, great to hear!! :)

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
Great song choice Vanessa. I first came across Sarah Mc on the Lilith Fair DVD. Lovely playthrough!!

TGNesh

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:55 pm

It was a total coincedence Sandy :). I had the song on my list for months, ever since camp I think. And then this past week I finally got to it, and then coincidentally saw Willem posting the song on Facebook. I sure hope you'll enjoy the lesson and that you're able to take it from there. Many thanks sweet friend!

sandysue wrote:
I love this song you guys. You both sound terrific. Thank you for making this a Lesson Ness. Really beautiful.

Sandy

michelew

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:15 pm

TGNessa,

Another beautiful choice of song. I really love Sarah's songs and this one is particularly gorgeous.

Another coincidence too, I've been playing a simple version of this in D on the piano. Actually I learned it from Sarah herself which is pretty cool. :) I started my thread about music notation apps for the iPad specifically because I wanted to record the version I've learned, including the right inversions and bass notes.

So it's REALLY cool that you've taught this song, this week. It will be great to have a nice version for the guitar.

Ness you and Corina play so beautifully together, your playthrough sounds wonderful.

Great lesson choice.

Thank you.

Shel

Xx

TGNesh

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:25 am

Anóther coincidence????! We must have some sort of telepathy going around here! :P

The song is of course fantastic to play on the piano, which i actually prefer. Sarah plays it just beautifully! Don't get too caught up in the 'right inversions' and such, she's too freeform for that. But I get you want to get one way of playing it down first, which is a good thing. Let me know how it goes. Oh and play it on the guitar too! ;)

Thanks so much for your sweet compliments :cheer:! Corina will be pleased to read it as well. Off to the next project together! :)

TGNessa B)

michelew wrote:
TGNessa,

Another beautiful choice of song. I really love Sarah's songs and this one is particularly gorgeous.

Another coincidence too, I've been playing a simple version of this in D on the piano. Actually I learned it from Sarah herself which is pretty cool. :) I started my thread about music notation apps for the iPad specifically because I wanted to record the version I've learned, including the right inversions and bass notes.

So it's REALLY cool that you've taught this song, this week. It will be great to have a nice version for the guitar.

Ness you and Corina play so beautifully together, your playthrough sounds wonderful.

Great lesson choice.

Thank you.

Shel

Xx

tombo1230

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 pm

Great lesson, beautiful song and lovely performance. :)

Good choice. B) :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic