>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron & Wine

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGCory

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Happy Friday Everyone!

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Flightless Bird, American Mouth is a song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Samuel Beam, better known by his stage name Iron & Wine. It appears on his third studio album ‘The Shepherd’s Dog’, which was released in 2007. The next year it was used in the movie ‘Twilight’ (Breaking Dawn) and appears on the soundtrack.

The lesson takes a look at the album version as well as several ways how Samuel plays it on stage, which is quite different and very random. Especially the latter is a perfect start for beginners.

The progression is a classic I, VI, IV, V in the key of C. The album version features picking with alternating bass notes, a simple strumming pattern in 6/8 time, a few hammer-on’s and an occasional ascending bass line. The guitar is capoed at the 3rd fret.

Enjoy this level 3 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

michelew

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:53 am

TGNessa,

I was planning on resisting this one as I'm on a different musical tangent at the moment. But, after watching your play thorough it sounds even sweeter stripped down to just guitar and voice and you just melted my resolve. You make it sound even better than the album. So I guess I'm learning this one. It sounds like a nice little song. :P

I really enjoyed learning Naked As We Came. It's a keeper for me. And of course These Great Heights; though I'm not finished that one. I know I'll enjoy this too, especially with such a classic progression.

Thanks Ness. Nice addition to the Iron and Wine set.

Shel

sandysue

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:30 am

Nice song Ness, your voice sounds really pretty.

TGNesh

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Haha! So I got your attention after all, despite your different musical tangent! :laugh: That's great!! :P

And this one should be easy enough for you. :) It's really a beautiful little tune. Your compliments are too kind, thank you very much!!! :blush:

Thanks again my sweet friend! xoxo

TGNessa B)

michelew wrote:
TGNessa,

I was planning on resisting this one as I'm on a different musical tangent at the moment. But, after watching your play thorough it sounds even sweeter stripped down to just guitar and voice and you just melted my resolve. You make it sound even better than the album. So I guess I'm learning this one. It sounds like a nice little song. :P

I really enjoyed learning Naked As We Came. It's a keeper for me. And of course These Great Heights; though I'm not finished that one. I know I'll enjoy this too, especially with such a classic progression.

Thanks Ness. Nice addition to the Iron and Wine set.

Shel

TGNesh

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks so much Sandy! There are some high notes in there for sure, haha :laugh: so I'm glad you thought it all sounded pretty! :cheer:

Ness

sandysue wrote:
Nice song Ness, your voice sounds really pretty.

davidrfinn99165

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:43 pm

It sounded great Vanessa.

It is really interesting to see the in-concert performances in the attached videos, it starts out like next-to-nothing, or at least something fairly standard, certainly lo-fi ( i don't even know what tha means haha) but then he gets really intense, fantastic. You did a great version !

TGNesh

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks so much David! :)

It's amazing how different Samuel Beam sometimes performs his songs on stage. With this one, in several performances he doesn't play at all in the first verse and chorus and then later just picks bass notes and gently strums, that's pretty much it. I didn't think I would add much if I would have gone for that version in the play through :laugh: , so recorded the album version instead. ;)

Lo-Fi, I get what you mean I think! :laugh: :P

Thanks again David!

Ness

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
It sounded great Vanessa.

It is really interesting to see the in-concert performances in the attached videos, it starts out like next-to-nothing, or at least something fairly standard, certainly lo-fi ( i don't even know what tha means haha) but then he gets really intense, fantastic. You did a great version !

jayswett

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:20 pm

After watching this lesson, I have been listening to alot of Iron and Wine, and just took a crack at Naked As We Came, which was another great lesson. Your play throughs are really great at tying everything together. And you were right; it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

As an aside, I recall 3 or 4 years ago Acoustic Al posted a video of him playing another Iron and Wine song called Die. A very short fingerpicking sort of thing. Have a listen to it if you find yourself enjoying Iron and Wine. Al did a very nice job with it. I'm off to find it now.

TGNesh

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Many thanks Jay, that's great to hear! I absolutely do my best on these play throughs, so always happy when they add something and are useful to some.

Tried to find a live-performance of 'Die', but no luck just yet. Will search some more.

Thanks again Jay!

jayswett wrote:
After watching this lesson, I have been listening to alot of Iron and Wine, and just took a crack at Naked As We Came, which was another great lesson. Your play throughs are really great at tying everything together. And you were right; it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

As an aside, I recall 3 or 4 years ago Acoustic Al posted a video of him playing another Iron and Wine song called Die. A very short fingerpicking sort of thing. Have a listen to it if you find yourself enjoying Iron and Wine. Al did a very nice job with it. I'm off to find it now.

jayswett

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:34 am

I wasn't able to find to find a good version of Iron and Wine playing Die, but did find a cover or two of it. I couldn't find Al's video on TG, although I suspect it is here somewhere.

Here's a thought: for open mic at IGC 2015, I play Naked as We Came, and you sing it?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic