>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Hello Everyone!

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

In 1973 Elton John and lyricist collaborated on the double album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. The song was obviously done on piano but the choice of chords and the progression are fascinating and compelling.

This lesson takes more of a Campfire approach but goes into transcribing the intro for guitar, as well as challenging the student to do a little harmonic analysis to determine what keys are used and the relationships of the chords. It uses a lot of different chords, many barres, and includes one very quick change. There is also a bonus segment where I explore the possibilities of doing an instrumental arrangement.

Enjoy this level 6 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

TGNesh

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Oops, had this one prétty high up on my list! :ohmy:

Oh well... :)

Edit: If someone is interested in a play through with vocals (same absolute key as the original), you might wanna check out this video, which I've actually recorded to show case my young piano student of whom I am SO proud! :cheer: (guitar is more in the background for that matter, but will still give you a clear enough picture.)

tombo1230

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Firstly Neil,
yes, an instrumental would be great for Yellow Brick Road. I would definitely want to learn that one. Go on, you know you want to. :)

Vanessa, no wonder you are so proud. Your protege is just brilliant!!! Well done both of you. B) Super cool!! That just made me smile. :)

Tom N.

dtaylor

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 pm

I'd echo Tom's thoughts on the instrumental Neil, the Behind the Scenes was very interesting and your enjoyment playing the guitar is plain to see. The G version looks exciting and even 'do-able'.
The chord-melody instrumentals you've produced over the years have been the biggest motivator for me to practice and definitely what has improved my playing the most.
God Only Knows is a case in point, there are things in there I wouldn't otherwise be forced to practice, and just playing the verse over and over is great exercise.
Hope you find the time to add this to the list of 'killer instrumentals'.

TGNesh

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:36 am

Many thanks Tom!! :cheer:

And you know, my students chart looks more like this:

Gm Gm/Bb D C/E / F F/A Bb Bb/F / Eb Eb/Bb C C/G / F
Db Db/F Eb Eb/G etc. :blink: :laugh:

No capo for a piano, you must be able to play in all 12 keys. So yeah I sure was proud of him! ;)

tombo1230 wrote:

Vanessa, no wonder you are so proud. Your protege is just brilliant!!! Well done both of you. B) Super cool!! That just made me smile. :)

Tom N.

davidrfinn99165

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:31 am

Thx Neil... I would also vote for an instrumental version of this.. just the intro sounds great.

And Ness - wonderful vocals !! this is such a hard song to sing, I squeak like a bat.

unclewalt

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:56 pm

TGNesh

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:08 pm

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, for a male, Elton John sings really high! :ohmy:

Taking off the capo won't hurt I suppose. :P

Many thanks David!

Ness

davidrfinn99165 wrote:

And Ness - wonderful vocals !! this is such a hard song to sing, I squeak like a bat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic