>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
willem

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:16 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hi Willem
The strum is explained clearly at the beginning but when watching the video left hand
Neil does somthing different with his wrist by the time he gets to the lines 3 and 4, ( Part 4 - 2.57 mins in )
Pity there wasn't a slomo getting faster, so I could understand how to get it fluent.
Am/E F C Dm
Am/E F C Dm, D

:(

:S
He gives an stress on count one ( I could count 1234 on Am but when he give also an accent on the F I could count 3 beats then he stopt, he should do the 4 beats)

so Am- stress! 2 3&4&-( F) stress 2 3&4& and so on..

Willem

PS.. I think you see a strange movement with his wrist cos of the stress!! also when he gives the stress he hits the other counts a bit softer..to do that in your mind that opens a bit of a strange movement in your wrist I think..

thereshopeyet

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Willem

As you can hear in my recording earlier, I can play verse lines 1 and 2 with the descending bass,
all be it they need practice.

Verse - Lines 3 and 4
Am/E F C Dm
Am/E F C Dm, D
I think my problem is a combination of understanding the chord changes in relation to the strum.
theres no point in me recording it again because the second and third lines just turn to mush !
I like this tune and really want to understand it.

Dermot

dtaylor

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:25 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hi Willem
The strum is explained clearly at the beginning but when watching the video left hand
Neil does somthing different with his wrist by the time he gets to the lines 3 and 4, ( Part 4 - 2.57 mins in )
Pity there wasn't a slomo getting faster, so I could understand how to get it fluent.
Am/E F C Dm
Am/E F C Dm, D

:S
He's playing D DU D DU (1 2& 3 4&)
The '2&' is de-emphasised, slurring the pick over a few strings, as you say, with a light flick of the wrist. Try playing it SLOWLY emphasising beats 1 and 3.

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:05 am

Dean

I just couldn't put my finger on it (excuse the pun) :dry: :ohmy:

Neil (when playing just after basic explanations) always pops little things into his strumming automatically that throw me.

I think you have it, I'll work on that........... Fingers crossed ! .....
Well maybe not crossed !.............Crossed .. is a bit awkward, :laugh:

Thanks

Dermot

:)

dtaylor

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:36 am

You bet, it'll get like that for you eventually, where you subconsciously strum and you get the sound you want. It's just a matter of practice and feel. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic