>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Puff The Magic Dragon - Peter Paul and Mary

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Hello Everyone!

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Many years ago we put up a Free Campfire Lesson on Puff The Magic Dragon, and I happened to mention that someday I would probably get to a more detailed one. Well, someday has come, thanks to a request on our Forum, and here we have a blow-by-blow description and demonstration of exactly what Peter Yarrow played as the introduction to this classic.

In the earlier lesson I mentioned that Travis picking was one of the ways to approach Puff and in this one we look at the specific notes and strings that Peter used. There is also a segment on a second guitar part, as can almost be heard in just the left channel of the original recording.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

shinbonepaul

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Neil, glad to see you revisit this group and this song. And yes, I would be very interested in seeing you expand this lesson even further.  Another PP&M song that I would like to see you take another look at is “Don't Think Twice, It's All Right”. I know that you have already covered the song as Bob's version.  After all, he did write it. In the past when one of your lesson songs has been covered by a number of different artists, you will sometimes speak to the differences between versions.  And there are other times when more than one guitar part is involved, you will highlight each one and sometimes suggest a way in which both parts can be played with one guitar.   With the Dylan version, you suggested that there might be some question as to who was actually playing the guitar.  To me the guitar work on the PP&M version is very, very nice. It still may be rapid Travis picking, and it might be in another key, but there are two guitars and I believe that Noel Paul and Peter did a fantastic job. Your thoughts on the their version would be very interesting to me and maybe to others in the TG community.  Have a great camp!

auntlynnie

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:04 am

I'm very much enjoying working on this lesson. I bought a copy of the PP&M song and have it on a playlist. The other day the song came on while my daughter, age 26, was in the car with me. Amazingly, she had never heard it before! How could I have not introduced her to it? Anyhow, it was fascinating to hear her reactions to the song - first, "Oh, that's really sweet!" then, "Oh, that's so sad!", finally "What's it all about?" For me, it was like hearing it for the first time all over again.

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic