>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Hello Everyone!

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Foreigner is a British-American rock band, originally formed in 1976 by English musician Mick Jones, multi-instrumental musician Ian McDonald, along with American vocalist Lou Gramm.

This lesson covers the unplugged/acoustic version of their biggest hit and power ballad ‘I Want To Know What Love Is.' It’s taken from their 1984 album ‘Agent Provocateur’.

The song consists of five chords in the key of Em, with a few different chord shapes, and should be played with random strumming. We take a look at the progression, which has an occasional change in the time signature, and the little signature riff in the intro and interludes.

The lesson is presented, as the original recording as well as the acoustic version, with all the strings tuned down a half step.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

willem

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Just an WOW..

michelew

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Nice one TGNessa! This is a great song. You're resurrecting all the great '80s power ballads. This one came out in my last year of high school. :)

Lots of cool things to learn in here. The riff is indeed nice. I like the upwards slow strum across all the strings (does that have a name?), it adds a great emphasis. The dramatic vocals really add to the emotion of the song. ...the syncopation, the cool strum pattern. Lots of great stuff. I'll be getting into it.

I LOVE your playthrough. Well nothing new there of course. I love the way you've incorporated all of the things I expected to hear from the album version; with just your voice and the guitar. Great energy, very cool playing, fantastic vocals.

I loved it!

Shel. :kiss:

kelemenj

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:41 am

Well that was a brilliant play through! Great job! When you strip away the bells and whistles of an overdone 80's production, you are left with a great song. But a lot of those guys could really play, compose, and sing their brains out. Even tuned down, Lou Gramm hits a C# in the chorus. Not only that but he does it with his his chest voice. This is not an easy feat. Anyway, I admire what you are doing and I always enjoy your song selections. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
John

unclewalt

Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:16 pm

TGNesh

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:13 am

About time I got here! Finally back to normal life folks, still adjusting though, but back to recording lessons for sure. :)

Willem: THANKS Willem!! :cheer: Couldn't wish for more!

Michele: Just awesome to read your comment Shel! :cheer: As you can imagine, quite a challenge to cover this one with one guitar and one vocal part, so yeah, absolutely thrilled that you loved the play through! It's also always interesting how you notice the things i do on the guitar. The upwards strum.....good question, no idea if it has a name :dry: . It's what Nancy Wilson for example very often throws into her playing. I really think it often adds something, whatever that something is. Thanks so much sweet friend!

John: Many many thanks John, very glad you like my song selections and of course in particular the play through for this one! :cheer: I would agree, without the whistles and bells, it's still really a great song. Lou Gramms vocals are of course amazing! :blink: Thanks again John!

Unclewalt:That's great to hear Uncle Walt, am glad you like the song after all!

Many thanks all!

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic