Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Fire And Rain – Lesson 2 with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Sandy and started Fire And Rain by James Taylor a couple weeks earlier, paying more attention to the chorus progression than the specific picking. She had that in pretty good shape so we moved on to the details of the guitar licks. She came into this lesson with a pretty good idea of what we had in tha tab. We paid particular attention to the rhythm, combining eighths and sixteenths with some hammer-ons.

In Part 2 she had a pretty good grip on playing and singing the verse and we started working our way through the chords and picking to the chorus.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

sbutler

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Great job with a real Classic Sandy. If I were an instructor, I'd suggest that everyone learn this one, and your well on you way.

Scott

sandysue

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:48 pm

Thank you Scott

I really love this song, and I think you're right, this would be a great song for students to learn. James Taylor's music presents much more of a challenge than it seems, because the timing keeps changing, he uses some unusual chords, and he doesn't have a consistent alternating baseline to help keep the beat. At least that's my excuse anyway. I finally started playing along with guitar pro, to help me with the timing and also to learn to sing and play at the same time. :S

wrsomers

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Great job Sandy. You are really getting this one. I look forward to the finished product. Maybe you'll post it on the Busking thread? I was also wondering, is your guitar an Ed Claxton? It sure looks like one.

Bill

sandysue

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Thank you Bill:

When I get this song finished I may post it on TG if it sounds good enough. I've only posted a song once before, but I would like to try it again, even though it's a little scary to post, sort of like getting up at open mic. :S

You're right Bill my guitar is a Claxton. You have a pretty good eye. I bought it used from a student of Neil's. I really love this guitar, it is so easy to play and I love the sound. :)

Sandy

thereshopeyet

Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:41 am

Sandy

Thanks for sharing your FOTW, you are Fire !

Here's and interesting link I came across about the song, Fire and Rain

Dermot

Image Found On Internet

sandysue

Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi Dermot

Thank you for that link to the story about Fire and Rain. I love James Taylor's music, especially that song. i had heard that Suzanne was a friend of his that later committed suicide, which is somewhat the same story that James Taylor tells, but I didn't know the whole story about all of the lyrics to Fire and Rain. It sounds like he also struggled with chronic depression and heroin addition when he was young, and I think some of his music kind of reflects a little of that sensitivity and moodiness. In spite of all of that, he really contributed some great songs to the music world :)

ps. I like your image of the girl in the rain. :)

Sandy

thereshopeyet

Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Sandy

James Taylor did do some brilliant songs for sure.
The image of the girl in the rain, I came across on the internet, I thought it really cool too (or should that be hot ? ) :dry: :ohmy: :laugh:

Dermot

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic